Skip to main content

Productive: An Ode to Lil Hen (21/60)


Some days I wonder if I've done anything at all.  I feel discouraged and disgruntled.

Today wasn't one of those days.  Today was one of those rare days when I didn't care that my closet didn't get cleaned out and that my list of to do's didn't get done.  I'll tell you why . . . Lil Hen and Hannon came over and the crazy whirl wind world came to a grinding holt.  All we could was hold and hug and sing to and cuddle this little darling boy.  He's stolen all our hearts . . . 



Hannon and Lil Hen



Finn and his baby boy . . .
I am so grateful for the full stop and the reminder of how beautiful and slow life can be.  The most important thing you do in your day is keep your baby fed, dry, and loved.  Hannon is a rock star mama in every way.  It's so beautiful to see this beautiful niece of mine be literally the most wonderful loving mother any baby could wish for.  Henry is one lucky baby.

And on the side . . . we canned 6 jars of peaches.

And with Piper's help . . . 35 jars of stewed tomatoes.

That's a wrap for canning this year.  And I'll be honest . . . not too sad to see it go.  But I loooove you beautiful summer sealed tomatoes.  You will keep us in sunshine all winter long.

Now . . . onto drying apples.

Life is good.  It's not perfect.  There's a lot I'm learning to navigate and work through, but life, today, right now, is good.  And that is enough.

And he's got me wrapped around his finger


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...