Skip to main content

5/60 Just Go to Bed


(Our hike on Saturday . . . and how we ended up after arriving back home--we hiked like crazy people up and ran our little fanny's off down . . . and that is why I am so sore and happy and sleepy)





When asked to give Newlyweds advice, mine is always this:  If you find yourself in a bit of a disagreement late into the night, JUST GO TO BED.  It will, I promise, be better in the morning.

I got lots of the exact opposite advice when we first got married:  Never, ever go to be angry.

It turns out, at least for us, 99.99999% of the reason we are angry/frustrated/hurt at each other is because we are bone weary.  We can't see straight.  So if it's past 10pm when we start into a "discussion" as we like to call it in our house (which have been known to rattle the window pains), we just say, We will finish this in the morning.  John goes to bed and I go into the study and cry for about ten minutes until he comes and finds me and pulls me off the couch and into his arms and tucks me into my side of the bed.  He won't say anything.  He just hugs me and we both go to sleep.

And 100% the time, we never continue our "discussion" in the morning.  We wake up and apologize to each other and talk about how silly it was that we even had our disagreement.

I'm not saying we have smooth sailing all the time (there are plenty of "discussions" that go on in the middle of the day), but I'm saying that you should always rule in the fact that tired/stressed/worried is making a literal mountain out of a tiny mole hill.

This goes for pretty much everything in your life.  If you think everything looks bad at night.  It does, but the adage that everything looks better in the morning . . . it's 100% true.

After a week of too little sleep, I am telling myself right now, Just Go to Bed.

And so I am.

Goodnight, Fair Friends.  Sleep tight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...