Skip to main content

Falling in love

Spring is the time each year I fall in love . . .

with John

my kids

the air

the mountains

friends

life.


This year is no different.

It's like winter has glazed over my eyes and numbed my heart, but the warmth of the gentle spring sun is melting it away and I can see and feel again.

Things--words, touches, smiles, laughter--they become precious and profound and tender.

I must stop and bask in it.  Soak it in.  Let it sink into me and wake me up again.

Yesterday Finn told me that he loved me and I felt my heart shudder a little at it's pure sweetness.

Natascha climbed with me over ice fields and through woods to find my phone in the snow (stupid me) and laughed and cheered me on.

Everyday of the week Lynsie comes over and practices yoga with me even when we both would rather be in bed.  She gets me on the mat more than anything else.

My running group gets me up at 545 Monday and Thursday mornings and inspires me and pushes me to be not only faster but also a better person in ever way.

My brothers and sisters (both by birth and by marriage) call me and message me and lift me and push me to be even more and these days my love for them . . . it will make me cry to think about.

And my parents (both by birth and by marriage), their love is a warm blanket that is always there to wrap me in and surround me with its warmth.

Friends, old and new, they bless me in every conceivable way.  Even tonight as I struggle with hard things, they listen not only to my words but the worries of my heart and take them seriously.  They open up and give me their stories and their struggles and their advice and I know it is offered without judgement or censure but with LOVE and hope that all will be well.

And most of all, I feel the blessing of laughter in my life.  There is so much to sorrow over, and fear and worry about, but in the presence of laughter--everything seems smaller, easier, powerless and conquerable.

Thank you, all of you, who make me laugh and remind me that life is about joy more than anything else.  Laughter warms better than the hottest fire, comforts better than the wisest words, and heals better than any medicine know to man.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...