Skip to main content

Goodbye Weasel (43/60)

Most weeks fly by, but this one . . . it was long.  Not bad, actually really great in parts, but just slow and long.

Also sort of hard.

Last night, very late, our car of 15 years died. 

Like never to be resurrected.  Ever. 

Both John and I have felt sad all evening since we found out (we thought for a few hours it was fixable and both felt so happy).  It was John's dream car 15 years ago, a VW TDI Golf--black with a sunroof.  We bough it brand new (first and only) and it's been the families baby despite it's abuse and dings.  It's moved with us to Canada and back and as John said, Seen us through many unemployments.

It was such a good car.  And the second one we've lost in the last six months.

But as John says, it could be so much worse.  It died late at night on a road where they could easily pull over.  Everyone is fine.  It's only a car . . .

So tonight, we are saying goodbye to an old friend whose seen us through 178,000 miles of fun. 

Thank you for taking us so many places safely and being so stinking fun to drive and having such a good sound system.  You've survived regular gas (it's a diesel), glow plug malfunctions, being hit twice (by me . . . ) and having your transmission ruined and your oil pan knocked out twice.  You're a survivor and veteran and we solute you1  We will miss you.  Bad.

(Especially Phoebe who now has no car . . . )

And I'll leave you with beauty and a taste of fall in these photos from my walk last week . . . There is always something to be thankful for and a bright spot to look.  Here's to mother nature and her beauty and teaching us resiliency and hope.  You're the best . . .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...