Skip to main content

For Happiness

I was lying on hammock tonight, big heavy clouds over head, the wind blowing through the trees above my head and the grass under my foot as I pushed myself.  I thought, This is happiness.

I am full, but not too full.  I am warm, but not hot.  All my people are home and around me and everyone is, if not perfectly happy, they are calm.  I have clean windows (thank you random window cleaning men). A cleanish house.  I have had hours with my kids at the pool (perhaps for the last time in a long time) and hold the title of walking the longest underwater on my hand record. Yes.  A happy husband (a thing to be treasured).  A quiet evening.  A moment to just sit and be still.

Yes.

This.

Is.

Happiness.

I feel the blessing of this like a comforting weight around my shoulders.  I know so well what it is like to feel the absence of happiness.  I know what it is like to feel fear, worry, hurt, sorrow, pain, anguish, regret, and anger.  So I know how precious this moment is.  I know right now, there are people I love so much, who are feeling any number of these things.  I feel for them.  I pray for them.  I pray I can help them. And I pray that even in small ways, while they are traveling a bit of a lonely road, that happiness will pop in now and then and ease their burdens.

It is rare.  Precious.  Priceless.

So next time you feel it . . . happiness . . .  welcome it.  Embrace it.  Stop whatever you're doing and soak it in.  Marinate your soul in the rich healing beauty of happiness and let it mend you.

I used to be afraid of it.  It would flicker in and out and I thought, Oh, you inconsistent friend. I can't trust you . . . you're too fleeting.  So I took it as a portent of worrisome things to come.

Silly silly me.

Now, I know what it is.

A gift.

Make friends with happiness.

Even if he's fickle and fleeting, he's a darn good time when he's around. And I'm telling you, I really like having a good time.  It's awesome.  I feel light, free, and like I can finally see clearly.

So . . . when next you feel happy, I say, throw your head back and laugh.  Hug and kiss.  Dance.  Set the weight of your responsibilities down and feel the lightness of beautiful possibilities.  Stretch out your limbs and let Happiness flow in.  This moment of joy is the most important moment of your life . . .

Trust me.  I know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...