Skip to main content

Photos and Pie Crust

Here are some photos of the last few weeks:

Finn in his Tiger costume

Piper as the cat (aka a girl version of Toby) and Finners

My people listening to Finn read

I caught Piper walking down the hallway at school and couldn't help but take a photo of her.  Yes, she dresses herself . . . every single day.

Henry working on his Eagle project at home (he got dressed to make a phone call).

Celia in her support roll as Mummy with Grandma and Grandpa Thomas

Finn eyeing the remains of pie crust cookies.


And now . . . tis the season of Pies.

I love pie.  John loves pie.  All our kids love pie.  And so, we make a lot of pie around these parts.  For years I didn't make pies because I was totally afraid of the crust making part.  They're terrifying really.  Until I watched my younger sister-in-law make a crust.  She was fearless.  She cut in the shortening, poured in the water and wahlah! A perfect easy to roll out pie dough.

I stared in wonder.

How did you do that, I asked.

Easy, she said.  Don't be afraid of the putting in too much water and don't be afraid of the dough.  

I have no idea why that helps, but it totally does and I tell myself this every time I make a pie crust.  

I am not afraid of putting in too much water (pouring pouring).

I am not afraid of you dough (rolling, shaping, and wait, it's good!).

So here's my favorite pie crust recipe (and yes, it is on the back of the Crisco can)

Pie Crust

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt

mix

cut in until it's really really mixed cut in and seems like grainy sand:

3/4 c shortening

add between 1/4-1/3 c ice water (this does make a difference--needs to be icy cold, but NO ice!) very slowly.

You know you've added enough when you can easily shape it into a ball and it sticks together easily but doesn't stick to you hands too much.

Form into a ball.

Place ball to roll out on a floured surface (my favorite is on a handy-dandy pie crust rolling piece of genius from Bed Bath and Beyond--or probably any good cooking supply store).  Roll out just slightly until it's a flat-sh fat circle.  Flip.  Make sure there is flour under and on top.  

Roll a bit more.  Flip and flour.  

Now your circle is pretty big and can't be flipped.  Just make sure you've got plenty of flour all around and under and on top (just a dusting, not big clumps).

Place the pie pan gently on top to make sure you have a pretty good sized pie crust, roll out more if needed.

Place the rolling pin on the edge of the dough and gently pull it up and over the rolling pin, then gently roll the pin over the dough and roll up the dough onto the rolling pin.  Then place the pie dish under the rolling pin and unroll the crust into the dish.

 If, as often happens, parts fall off, well, push them back together.  Use those fingers of yours!


And wahlah!  You've got a pie crust in the dish!  Cut off the excess about an half inch from the edge and then tuck under and gently pinch the top edge making a ruffle effect.  

Bake, if you want a shell, at 400 for 10-15 minutes until golden on edges.

And that people is how you make a crust.  I know it sounds scary, but trust me . . . it isn't!

Well, not super Blair Witch Project scary.  Just Psycho scary.





Comments

  1. I was just hoping for Halloween photos of your kids! And our kids just asked to make pie this morning. It is indeed the pie season! And it's amazing how knowing that you have a skill--whatever it may be (like pie crust making)--just increases your confidence in life in general.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...