Skip to main content

Sunday Confessions: Vulnerably is actually Armor (58/60)

Sundays have turned into my favorite day of the week, but today, was one of my most favorite.

I am feeling more tender and sensitive to everything and everyone around me.  I was always worried that if I made myself more vulnerable and exposed, I would be a perfect target and get hurt all the time.  Oddly enough, that's not what's been happening, I feel loved and appreciated and understood.  

It makes me wonder if all the walls you build up, wether on purpose or not, are not just keeping out the potential hurt, but also the potential love and warmth and overtures of friendship . . . ?

Honestly, whenever we think we know better . . . I'm thinking in general we don't.  Note to self, remember you're probably wrong about practically everything.  

So, here's my take away from today and the last 58 days:  The more you give of yourself, the more you get back in return.  The more love you send out, the more you feel.  The more you seek to understand those around you, the more they seek to understand you.  The more vulnerable you allow yourself to be, the stronger and more resilient you become.

And so tonight, as I am crawling into bed after clearing out my whole kitchen living room of furniture (the floors getting refinished), after having dinner with family, I'm asking myself to try and be even more open, more kind, more thankful, more generous tomorrow.  My sister always told me, send out the very best to the Universe, and just wait, even more will come back to you.  So far, honestly, it's way way beyond that.  

Here's hoping that each of you are finding something similar in your lives . . . and if not yet, try it.  Look up and smile at the person you're talking to.  Say thank you as often as possible.  Write a note.  Give a hug.  Send a text with love in it.  And most of all, give yourself a big old hug.  You're doing good.  You are good.  Life is hard, we all fall short here and there.  It's all good.  You're infinitely precious and I love you.  

For days this gem of wisdom has been floating around in my mind.  I read it first when I was 14 or 15 and it's been a guide throughout my life.  So I'm going to end my Sunday Confessions with this gift to you:


Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

— Max Ehrmann, 1927

Oh, and here's a little photo treat from our walk this evening . . .  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o