Skip to main content

Gray Skies, Birthday Shopping, Friends and Tacos--a perfect day (42/60)


You know how all winter you dream about putting on shorts and light skirts and being able to walk outside with just a t-shirt on and feeling warm enough?  And then, in the summer as sweat rolls down you chest and back, you dream about putting on jeans and sweaters and actually feeling cold?  

Well, it seems that fall has arrived and it's time to wear sweaters and jeans and jackets . . . but I can't believe it.  I know I'm going to get hot again, so I keep wearing my light weight shirts and pants or skirts.  I am an idiot.  Today, I had to sit in the car for 15 minutes with the heat blasting because . . .  I did not wear warm enough clothes. Note to self . . . GET THE WARM CLOTHES down like yesterday from the attic.  

I haven't because I'm not ready!  It was in the 80s . . . and has gone straight to the 50s.  I need those beautiful 70s and 60s back! I have cute between clothes I've been waiting months to wear!  I know.  So vain.  So silly.  But if you could see these jump suits . . . you'd totally agree.

Another note to self, probably another reason you're feeling melancholy, autumn has effectively been skipped.  Now everything is making sense . . . 

So today, I wake up feeling BLAH big time, but instead of staying in bed (which I really REALLY wanted to do), I get up and do a SUPER duper hard 20 minute work out with John (I've never done this work out and not felt sore for days after).  I began breakfast in the still dark kitchen (thank you overcast skies . . . the kitchen feels dream like and sleepy) surrounded by 35 quarts of beautiful pink apple sauce.  John came out dressed and ready to leave early asking why I hadn't woken the kids.

I told him, I couldn't. I went in and saw how deeply and beautifully they were sleeping and said to myself, if I were them, 21 extra minutes would be a dream come true.

But they'll be late! 

No, I told John, utterly confident (while internally doubtful), they will be just fine.

He gave me the tilted head, skeptical look.

So I ran down stairs (well, I wanted to, but my legs were so dead, it was more like a ungraceful fall) to wake the babies. 

Finn, Piper . . . it's time to get up.  It's 7:11 . . . 

Finn's eyes pop open and he immediately says, Mom!  Why didn't you wake us up on time . . . ?

You were sleeping too peacefully, I said, I just couldn't.

Then he smiled at me and Piper yawned and croaked out a sleepy, Thank you Mama.

And they weren't late.

And they somehow had lunches and their homework (I think . . . ).

I did some lovely yoga with Lyns (very very hard yoga that I may or may not have been able to do well) and a extremely muddy walk with Linds (like the mud that cakes on your shoes so bad your shoe threatens to come off each step) followed by two visits with other friends.  Pretty much a lovely morning and one that reminds me why I love living just where I do.  I am surrounded by women (and men) who are kind right down to their bones and smart and witty and funny and good listeners and best advice givers in the world.  Turns out, God knew I would basically have to be carried throughout my whole entire life, so He's stuck me where I would have the most help ever.  Thank you, God!  Literally.

But I digress.

So I forgot to mention that my stomach has been playin tricks on me these past few days (hence the sad little posts).  IE I've felt a bit under the weather.  Which makes me glum and makes me NOT want to go anywhere.  Understandable right?  Well, it's ok for a few days, but Phoebe, our most organized of children, a month ago sent us a list of birthday wishes (not a very big one either), and so far we had purchased one thing . . . and her birthday is Tuesday.  

Worst parents EVER.

We look like horrible parents don't we?  

So I woke up this morning, realizing it's THURSDAY and our baby girl is turning 19 in life five days and the weekend NOTHING ever gets done.  So it's today or never.

I went.

And honestly had the BEST luck ever.  (I have to tell you that this morning as I was trying to pull myself out of bed and feeling discouraged about pretty much everything in my life, I said a short, none-sense prayer, pleading for just a little good luck today . . . yes dumb, and yet . . .)  Every store I went into had the exact thing she wanted . . . only it was either better, on sale, or bigger than she wanted.  I shopped for 45 minutes and got all her birthday present . . . 

And I found the most darling shirt ever, new lip stain, and honestly the cutest Christmas houses (where you put a little light in them and they shine out . . . Crate and Barrel I love you) ever for little old me.

But the best part?  Running into my dear friend Natascha and spending twenty minutes browsing as we just poured out our hearts to each other.  I used to think you needed a few hours to feel better, but I think sometimes, you just need 20 minutes.  And lots of hugs.  They make everything better.

Then I came home to find Chloe and Henry here making everyone so happy and the kids already doing their Thursday house cleaning jobs.  I'm telling you, today has been a day of MIRACLES!  They do happen!

Then, John called to warn he'd be late for dinner (maybe).  Poo.

Only he wasn't.  He was in time to help finished up cleaning the house while I cooked dinner (with Finnegan's help) of tacos, black beans, cilantro rice, fried tortillas (the best worst thing for you ever), lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocados, and last years sweet salsa (Emily and Aimee--best salsa ever!). 

There's nothing better than eating a delicious meal in a spotlessly clean house with almost all your children.

So even if it's been a hard few days, today stands as a reminder and testament, that good things do come.  Tides turn.  The sun rises.  Grace happens and you get a day with friends, successful shopping, a clean house and good food.

Hallelujah.


Oh yeah, so I'm totally going to take interior decorating classes . . . you can get a certificate of achievement.  Don't even need a degree.  Doesn't that sound so fun?  Whose in?  We can totally car pool together!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o