Skip to main content

oh how things change

It's amazing how having a big old stressers changes everything.  Things you thought were super important seem so silly and things I took for granted seem so precious and important.  I feel like I've been blind, and now I see.

I was listening to one of my friends talk about weight loss and how to get her extra five pounds off and how often she things about it.  I looked down at my belly and thought, I can't remember the last time I even thought about my body or my wrinkles or my sagging places.  With a whole new set of much more pressing worries, physical appearance has gone out the window.  Not completely, of course; I still want to be look my best, but my best has changed.  My best is smiling.  My best is a good day where I can easily smile and laugh.  My best is a daily prayer of gratitude that we've gone another day healthy and well.

Today, that changed.  Finn's been complaining of a pain in his leg since May and for about a week, he walked with a limp.  We had him stop everything for a few days and then only dance because he had a performance.  Then no running for a week or two and it felt better.  Way better.  But as he's gotten back into running distance and speed, he started noticing the tenderness.  He asked to go to the doctors (something he avoids unless he's worried).  We asked our friend and doctor what he'd suggest and he gave us a name which we called and got right in this morning.  Finn was nervous and scared (he hates the doctors) and I was too.  The doctor was very serious as he examined Finn.  He had an idea of what it was (shin splints), but needed x-rays to make sure.  The x-rays showed a healing stress fracture, a healthy healing bone--two healthy bones on strong long legs. 

Right there the mother in me sighed in relief.  No weird growths or suspicious stuff.  Just a little healing fracture.  

Then came the bad news.

 Due to the tenderness, he declared, absolutely no running for a month.

Finn turned pale and I thought he'd cry.  He quit dance and cut back on karate to focus on running.  He spent his last summer and fall sick with pneumonia that would not go away.  He ran hacking and shaking and hurting.  It took a massive round of antibiotics to clear up the last of it.  Finally, he was healthy and getting speed and strength.  He was running with his friends (on varsity).  He was there . . .

Then this.

We were both shocked, shell shocked, and walked out without saying anything really.  We sort of stumbled into the car and tried to figure out what the doctor even said.  I think that's when it hit the hardest for Finn.

On the way home, he kept saying, why me?  I am not even a fast runner.  I'm just so-so.  I don't even understand.  A month?  Mom, a month?  I can't run for a month?

I looked over at him and thought about how in the beginning of May he couldn't walk it hurt so bad.  He couldn't do anything.  But since then, he's run about sixty miles at a fast pace and then spent the days hiking or playing pickleball or racing after his nieces and all he feels is a tenderness in one spot.  His leg doesn't ache, just tender to the touch.  The x-ray showed old healing.  Not new.  He was/is on his road to recovery.

I turned to him and said, We are getting you into the best Physical Therapist I know.  Our cousin being one of them.  They know so much about this.  They will get you running.  They will be able to tell how long you need to stay off it.  Henry (oldest son) had a third degree sprain on his ankle and they told him he wouldn't play for a season or two and the physical therapists got him back in the games in two weeks (with a lot of ankle wrapping).  You're going to be ok.  Even if it's a month, you're still going to be ok.  You are strong.  You are smart.  Your body is a machine.  We've got this.

And I believe it. 

We got home and called/texted all our Physical therapists (cousin at the top of the list).  Tomorrow we are going to see our cousin to see what he thinks.  And we are going to start biking and strength training.  And it's going to make us all stronger (because we are all in this with him).  Breaks, hurts, sprains, pulled ligaments and strains, they make us all stronger in every way.

I don't know how this will end.  

Again.

I don't know how long we will have to wait.

But it will end and Finn will be stronger for it.

I believe it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

And I'm just grateful it's something we can fix.  Something that can heal.  Something thing that is already healing.  



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o