Skip to main content

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day.

Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again.

Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No reading.  I did, however, get a short nap when I sat down for a few minutes to wait for the unexpected carpet stretchers to finish (they rang the door bell and I jumped up guiltily and pretended I had just dozed off instead of in the midst of a mile deep sleep and like a drunkard lead them back down stairs to look at their work).  Another unexpected thing . . . but a good one, eh?

I feel like I've been thinking that a lot lately, "Well . . . that was unexpected . . ." and often, usually, it's for the good kind of unexpected.  The kind that sort of throws new doors in your brain open and sometimes you can't quite figure out how you're going to process it, but you know you want to.

Take for instance Finnegan.  He's seven now.  He still crawls on my lap and needs me to kiss him five times before he goes to sleep, but then I listen to him play with Piper or his friends, and I'm floored by what he's telling them.  They're having complex conversations about dealing with a cranky friend or how tigers hunt or tonight, when he sat next to Phoebe and told her, "I want to tell you when and how I got my blood blister at school to day.  Phee, are you listening?" and reached over to gently take her arm so she'd stop Instagramming for one blessed second.  I know this doesn't sound that crazy, but it's odd to me that my littlest creature is not really my creature anymore.  He's his own thing.  They all are.  These five children of mine are these amazing creatures (emphasis on creature . . . they are not totally tame and are very VERY unpredictable) who keep me thinking, Wow, now that was unexpected.

I like it.

Today, my "unexpected" moment came in the form of Phoebe, on the way to ballet, saying, "I really don't like people thinking I'm smart."

"Why?"

"Because I'm a lot more things than smart.  Everyone is smart if they try . . . even a little bit.  I just try a little bit and then I do well on test.  But anyone could.  I'm not that special or smart.  I just work a little.  I'm more than smart, Mom.  I really am."

"I know Phoebe.  You're way more . . . in fact,  I would say that your smarts are the least awesome part of you. You are . . .."

Yep.  Unexpected, but what a fun conversation.

That's what you get with kids . . . whether you've got five or one, they give you unexpected moments of insight and perception and challenge.

You also get moments, like when you check a certain oldest child's grades and see a lovely row of F's.  Oh, the "unexpected" feelings that rise then . . . strong is the word I'd apply there.

I am find I'm also unexpectedly pleased with getting older.

"Well, you've got one last year before you're officially old," I thought to myself when I woke up on my 39th birthday.  And then I smiled.  Because, Nancy was right when she told me, years ago, "Oh, my thirties were filled with anxiety about so much.  But my late thirties and early forties, that's all gone.  I'm so fine with life, with me."

I'm so fine.  Sooooo fine.

I have time.

I have energy.

I have wisdom about what I like and what I don't.

I have learned how to laugh . . . a lot . . . especially at myself.

The day, it doesn't have to go according to plan.  I'm beginning to see, just a little, that it's the unexpected twist and turns and tugs that actually make life into . . . life.


The balloon who haunted us all . . . it would float into a room and then slowly float out . . . or mostly, it would hang above Phoebe's bed when she woke up in the morning. Creeeepy!

 Finn's self portrait


Four ladies who only get better as time goes by . . 

My mom . . . who I become more like every day and I am glad of that

Unexpectedly stranded in a snow storm . . . with my sister

I'm lucky with my family . . . 

Phoebe hates this picture, but I love it  . . . "Potato face"

Ew.  Dork.  Love him.


Angry Leprechaun

Sly Leprechaun

Thirty nine never looked so good . . . Celia's birthday picture of me (if you can find me)

 
Whose children are these? Next three are from our latest family Road Trip to Pacific Northwest


Portland

Astoria

Astoria

Finn and Pips if you can find them.

Henry and his date

And we wonder why our kids are crazy . . . 

Easter Egg hunt 2014

That thumb is broken?  Oh, should I have taken him in three weeks ago when he started to complain?  Yes?  Oops.

Tonights dinner.





Comments

  1. Thank you for writing, Mary! What an unexpectedly wonderful surprise for us who love you. The words and pictures are a perfect combination. And how I love the look of a table set for dinner. Abundance! Abundance in the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, funny, wise writing, realistic optimism and spontaneous pictures of some of my favorite people--all this is NOT unexpected coming from my Mary. Love you. KEEP WRITING! (When you feel like it :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. mary, i love your posts and your family (both your children and your family of birth)! it feels like home to read your ruminations. when i grow up, i want to be like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life does get better if we surrender to the deeper currents. Unexpectedly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem