Skip to main content

Goodbye Weasel (43/60)

Most weeks fly by, but this one . . . it was long.  Not bad, actually really great in parts, but just slow and long.

Also sort of hard.

Last night, very late, our car of 15 years died. 

Like never to be resurrected.  Ever. 

Both John and I have felt sad all evening since we found out (we thought for a few hours it was fixable and both felt so happy).  It was John's dream car 15 years ago, a VW TDI Golf--black with a sunroof.  We bough it brand new (first and only) and it's been the families baby despite it's abuse and dings.  It's moved with us to Canada and back and as John said, Seen us through many unemployments.

It was such a good car.  And the second one we've lost in the last six months.

But as John says, it could be so much worse.  It died late at night on a road where they could easily pull over.  Everyone is fine.  It's only a car . . .

So tonight, we are saying goodbye to an old friend whose seen us through 178,000 miles of fun. 

Thank you for taking us so many places safely and being so stinking fun to drive and having such a good sound system.  You've survived regular gas (it's a diesel), glow plug malfunctions, being hit twice (by me . . . ) and having your transmission ruined and your oil pan knocked out twice.  You're a survivor and veteran and we solute you1  We will miss you.  Bad.

(Especially Phoebe who now has no car . . . )

And I'll leave you with beauty and a taste of fall in these photos from my walk last week . . . There is always something to be thankful for and a bright spot to look.  Here's to mother nature and her beauty and teaching us resiliency and hope.  You're the best . . .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o