Skip to main content

Part One: Come on In . . . (35/60)

We are way past friends after these 35 days.  I thought it was about time I invited you over to visit  . . . 

Here's the house




And . . . the front door is locked . . . but no worries . . . 


 I'm going to take you in through the garage . . . 

Oh, here's my laundry . . . 

and here's the hallway into my house . . . 

And here is my room . .. 

Bed and my favorite . . . a wall of windows.

And here's where I create . . . post trip madness (and everyday madness it's my catch all . . . just living!)

Bathroom . . .

closet . . . notice I like ONE color of shoes?  


And here's the guest bathroom--where you'd visit . . . 


And here's the guest bedroom (that couch turns into a queen size bed . . .)

And here's the study . . .

Where all the children study and watch their you-tubes . . . 


And here's my great mistake (notice the cubbies . . . they're always messy . . . why didn't I just put doors on them?  Regrets.  That's life.)

And here's the hallway to everyone's favorite room . . . 


The Library.  These books, all of them, they get read.  I love my kindle as much as anyone, but there is something about books that pulls you in . . . and these couches and chairs, they ask you to stay . . .

John's favorite find--an 1950s map . . .  if you're not careful, it will fall on your head (Sorry Travis!)
And the Piano that I used to play but now mostly guests play. . . I keep it tuned for you (and those are Trees Celia painted one day when she was 11).

And here is our living room--pretty much where everyone is all the time (we had these couches made so they could attempt to house our family and friends . . . it helps but doesn't quite do the trick when we both come from families of 10)

That black and white print . . . it's from a log from Rock Canyon . . . where John proposed to me (thank you for the idea Amy!)

But you're really here for dinner . . . (note the chair is in the sun . . . this is where you'll find me, I put the chair right here and sit in the sunlight and let it warm my chilled bones on winter days)

The table looks small, but don't worry, it pulls out and triples in size.  We can easily seat 12 here.


Though while dinner is cooking, we might sit on the porch and chat and look out on the back yard . . .

or admire the sunset (which hasn't happened yet, but is amazing from this exact place)


And for some reason, thats all the photos my computer will load tonight.  It's a sign I need to get my sweet self to bed. 

But don't worry, I have lots of faith that tomorrow the tour will continue.  I'll show you my kitchen, the basement (and the kids disastrous rooms) and take you through, step by step, how to make my Creamy Potato Soup and warm focaccia bread.

Can you smell it?  It was honestly delicious.  So stay a minute, relax, and in just a few hours, I'll show you the rest . . . 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o