Skip to main content

Barf, Anyone? Travails of Travel (52/60)


So we head out on a perfect sunset night (Friday) . . . and I say, This is an omen, people!  This is going to be the best trip ever (but inside, I thought . . . or is this the highlight? and it's all downhill from here?  Stupid me, why do I have such thoughts . . . that often come true?!)


And it was great . . . until Piper had a peanut reaction and John practically fell asleep driving.  

Well . . . that changed things.

Thankfully, I convinced sleepy John to pull over so I could drive.  

And even more thankfully, I had an amazing play list on my iPhone . . . and having just watched tons of Jimmy Fallon "lip sync battles" (I was channelling my inner Emma Stone--see link), I kept myself very entertained lip synching to every single song on the album (they're all my favorites).

I pretty much would have won every single battle.  And I only almost crashed twice when I was using both my hands to dance and sing . . . and drive (turns out not a great combo). 

(I'm telling you, when I'm famous and Jimmy and I go head to head in the battle . . . I will WIN!) 

We arrived safe and sound at my sisters Hurricane Utah house . . . which is currently under construction . . . there is nothing but a table, a few chairs, and patio furniture.  

But we made ourselves at home . . .  

The girls getting ready for bed . . .


The bedroom for the kids (which we brought)


The patio furniture . . .(and more important the view. . . )


The kitchen table . . .


and the hot tub and more patio furniture (and more gorgeous views)


They woke ups feeling sleepy but good . . .


Until after church, when Piper again felt horrible.  So we waited until she felt better . . . and headed off to Zions.

We parked and Piper told us, sadly, she was feeling quite poorly again . . . we didn't pay much attention to her.  In fact, we may have made her go on a hike  . . .

Here's C getting ready to hike . . .

Oh and Piper is smiling . . . at the beginning of the hike.


We each step, her belly hurt more and more . . .



I distracted her by telling her to look at the gorgeous tree changing colors . . . 


She tried hard . . . 


But right here, below where Finn is sitting (notice he's looking down) she stumbled off the trail and proceeded to be sick behind a tree.


Post barf Piper . . . 


Piper and I headed down . . . the other three finished the Watchman Hike


I ran to the car to grab water and gum (a must after being sick). . . 

She sat on the banks of the Virgin river, staring at this stork . . .


I walked her back to the car (she had to stop once to be sick again --her nightmare--in public) and  told the rest of the family that we just may need to head back home for poor Piper . . ..  Everyone felt so sad for her, they all agreed to head out.

She then spent the rest of the afternoon curled up on the outside couches (only comfy furniture) . . .


Looking at this view . . . (if you have to be sick . . . this is the view to have)



She seemed ok, so as the sun set, Celia and I explored the neighborhood . . .




And accidentally on purpose went onto the golf course . . .


and onto the trail behind the golf course, that overlooks the utterly amazing red rock gorge behind their neighborhood . . . 


For reals!


And back through the golf course as the sun disappeared . . .


Back to the house to finish up the Farming Game (Celia won  . . .)


While Piper watched, feeling finally slightly better  . . .


And then, after a LOOOOONG night of violent thunder and lightning storms (that literally sounded like atom bombs were being dropped outside our house), we woke up, had a lazy morning, Piper was all better (though very very weak), and drove through the rain home . . . 

And what during the two days were were gone . . . FALL came . . . 

The trees are all turning!


My favorite view . . .


Despite the sick, the Zion's disappointment, and the crazy nights filled with storms, it was an adventure.  We played games together, talked a lot, explored places close by, and as usual, remembered how much we like each other.  

So I guess that glorious sunset was a good omen . . . not that things would all go smoothly, but that it would be fun and crazy and the best of all . . . memorable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o