Skip to main content

Double Dare: Choose Love (59/60)



I Dare YOU:

Love is a tricky thing.

When it's going well, it's about the best thing that ever happened to you.  You feel brilliant and beautiful, wise and witty, and best of all invincible.  Nothing can hurt you because you have someone who loves you.  Someone who cares what you think and feel and worries when you don't come home on time.  There is such comfort in good going love.

And I haven't even mentioned how lovely it feels to be thought beautiful and attractive and wanted and needed.  It's addictive in how good it all feels.  We want more and more and more of it.  If we are lucky, this wanting turns to things not just physical, but emotional and mental.  Attraction becomes something deeper and more meaningful.

But when love is not going well, oh Lordy, how bad that can be.  It's like the you've been sent to Siberia without a jacket or Alaska without a snowmobile.  You feel utterly abandoned, isolated, alone, and usually equally super duper mad and sad at the same time.  It's horrible and confusing.

But still . . . I want to tell you, despite seeing both sides, and experiencing both sides, still choose love.  Choose to make yourself vulnerable, even if it fails, to love and show affection and say yes to companionship.  There are no guarantees ever in life about anything.  Chances are, in love, it will fail you or at least hurt really bad, but what else are you going to do with your life?

Stay in your house with your cats and computer games?  Why not, even if it's for six days, have the most delicious crush ever?  Let the magic of those fresh emotions fill your whole body and feel the hope of the potential love.  Dive into it.  Embrace it.  Even if it fails . . . because that's what living bravely is about.  It's not about staying safe, it's about putting it all on the line.  It's about risk and sometimes taking the same risk over and over again and having your heart broken . . . but one of those times, it's bound to last a little longer and you will have days of joy. It's worth it.  It's worth feeling so vividly alive.

And for those of us old marrieds where years and years have gone by, don't give up on love.  Don't forget the magic of that crush.  The shivers you get when you hear their voice or the electric shock you feel when their hand brushes yours.  These simple things, that was the spark that started all this . . . remember that.  Reignite it.

Choose love.  Choose to forget the thousand and one things that made you upset today--put it down--and go sit beside your other half (and they are your other half), wrap your arms around them (even if they don't really want it) and hold onto them and tell them why you love them.  Don't let go until you've said at least three things . . . or four or ten or fifty.  Then look right into their beloved face and smile and say these exact words:  "I love you."

What you do after that . . . well, I'll leave that up to you, but I can tell you, it rarely ends badly.

So for all of us, despite how dangerously terrifying it is, take a risk, throw caution to the wind, take a chance and above all .  . choose LOVE.

It may hurt.

It may make you feel crazy.

But it will 100% remind you what it means to be alive.

And what use is this life if we've forgotten how to live?

So go . . . live.

Love.

You've got this.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o