Skip to main content

Saturday: Sleep and Feeling Refreshed (44/60)

(And we need to get our internet fixed!  It was down again last night . . .  So here's yesterdays)

I slept in Saturday morning until 9am.

This is actually unheard of for me (unless I travel east).  I wake with the birds.  7:30am is actually pretty late for me to get up . . . but 9am.  Unheard of.

And so needed.  I was in bed fast asleep by 10:30 pm Friday night (after the grandma hour date John and I had--dinner and a movie all before 9:30pm--no crowds anywhere!  It was the best).

I know I've been mentioning having a hard few months where my anxiety has been a bit higher than normal, but what I was really experiencing was pretty hard long days every day.  I couldn't really get a grip on reality.  I'm still not totally sure what is real and what isn't.  That's the hard part of anxiety, it makes you doubt yourself and everything and everyone around you.  And this, by far, is nothing compared to what I've been through.

I know I have it pretty mildly and I feel worn down by it.  When I hear people quietly or softly admit to dealing with anxiety, I get myself right and and walk over to them and give them a big huge hug and tell them, Listen, I am your sister in this.  We can make it through together.  What can I do to help?  And when they say nothing, that means I'll call them and make sure we got for a walk or lunch or if they keep ignoring me, I keep texting them.  Because I've been there too, where I just don't want anyone to see how utterly messed up I am.  It's embarrassing at it's best, and utterly debilitating at it's worst.  One time I had it so bad, I literally had to have people hold my hand while I peed because I was convinced I was going to disappear if I wasn't holding onto someone.  Crazy right?  Yep, welcome to the world of me.

But I'm also a lot more than that.  For three long years I believed I was just my anxiety.  That this huge black cloud looming over me, following me wherever I went, interrupting conversations, runs, walks, relationships, and basically my ability to function, was all I was.  I could never be enough.  I would never get out from this cloud.  I was failing everyone.  I was a horrible mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, and human.  I honestly would just lay down sometimes and know that the world would be a better place if I wasn't in it.

I had help through out this process.  I was definitely not alone for one step.  Both my families gathered round me.  My friends honestly held me together.  And I'll be honest, I would not have made it without a strong believe that there is something bigger out there who is wiser and stronger and more loving than I can imagine.  And I put a lot of faith in that and in Him.

I called my mother, in the darkest days, when I had three small children, John was in mad job searching mode and I had just had my third miscarriage (the hormones plus a lot of other crazy circumstances contributed to this rather rough patch).  I was sitting in the basement of the waiting house (what we called our in between house) doing laundry. The kids were playing around me and on me and I was desperately trying to hold it together.  I hadn't slept for more than a few hours here and there for three weeks.  I was about 100 pounds (maybe) and I had trouble eating.  I was, to put it mildly, in bad shape.  When she picked up the phone, I just began sobbing uncontrollably.  When I could finally get it together I said, Mom, I'm totally losing it.  I can't sleep.  I can't eat.  I can't even pay attention to the kids because I'm so wrapped up in my brain.  I'm terrified I'm going to fail them.  They're going to hate me because I've been such a horrible mother to them.

She listened to me and at this point interrupted me and said, "No. You won't fail them.  You're not failing them.  You're a good mother and doing the best you can.  You're going to be ok.  I promise you.  This will get better.  John will find a job.  You'll get a house.  You will get better."

And I believed her.

Because I knew that she had walked some long lonely hard roads and that things had gotten better.  She knew what this was like, ended up half broken in your basement crying your eyes out.  And she had survived.  She had dark days where she couldn't be the mom she wanted to be and none of us hated her.  In fact, we all loved her fiercely and protectively.  I knew that she was and is much more than her dark times.

And so . . . I had hope that I am too.

That was a water shed moment for me . . . that and believing that even in my crazy weakest state, I am still important and have things to offer--however small they were and are.

John did find a job.  I did get better.  I also had two more babies despite the evidence that supported I might not.  We got not only one more house, but three more.  And I know I've failed my children, but I also know that they don't hate me (I hope . . . ).  They honestly shore me up with their love and help and patience bless their hearts.

And so . . . having slept Friday to Saturday morning means more than just a good night sleep.  It means that my mind, heart, hormones, and emotions are calming down and I am getting a grip . . . or at least beginning to get a grip on reality again.  It's always lose.  I think it always will be with me, but that's why, when I get it,  I just sit back and enjoy it.

Even though Saturday started off slow, we still went for this wonderful slightly longer than usual run, I got to sneak off and go to the temple, then came back and we all gardened for a few hours putting the garden to bed and mowing the lawns.  We shopped for fun household articles and drove through new car lots (Finnegan's favorite thing), went to belated birthday dinner with Piper, got to cheer on Celia and her friend Zoe for going to Homecoming as Single Ladies, and then got to hold and play with baby Zazie while John's sister and her husband went to a movie (without baby).


good bye garden . . . 


fall has come . . 


Piper waiting for her yummy meal . . . Johnny Rockets IS good.

Celia and Zoe . . . Cutie pies

Baby Zazie!  Our lives are filled with babies



As I climbed into bed Saturday night, feeling just as relaxed and at peace as I did Friday night, I thought, I am going to stop and just say Thank You to the Universe for giving me this moment, these days to feel good, healthy, strong, and refreshed.

And I did.

And then went straight to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o