Skip to main content

Stormy Weather

This whole week--since last Friday--the weather has been stormy and gray and cold.  There is no hint of warmth except for the few minutes here or there when the sun peeks out behind the clouds and then it is only a brief warmth that barely makes you turn your head towards the light.

March came in like a Lamb, there is no option it seems but to go out like a Lion. And this year, it is a sullen and grumpy lion.  And I feel like I can totally relate.

These past three weeks of John starting a job have been worthy of gray weather and storms and fits and starts and moments when it seems the sun will shine,  only to get your hopes dashed with the gray clouds moving in.  There have been reprieves and I have been thankful for them, but overall, this adjustment time is challenging. 

Last night, after the guest all left and I fell into a deep and dreamless sleep,  I was woken by my eye aching and the discovery that I couldn't really see out of it.  Instead of thinking, Oh, I probably was sleeping on it weird and rolling over and going to sleep, I FREAKED OUT.  Yep, woke up John, had him examine if there was a huge thing in it (there wasn't) or to ask him if I was having a stroke (no) and just sat there shaking totally unable to get my crap together.  Totally certain that I was DYING or at the very least GOING BLIND in this very INSTANT.  As I shuddered with fear,  I took a second to take stock of me . . . and I thought, yeah, maybe I'm not doing so well.  Maybe I'm having a bit of a moment.  Oddly enough, that calmed me more than anything else.  I chanted my stormy moment mantra of peace and opened myself up to the Divine and eventually fell back asleep and slept like the dead.  

I woke up this morning with my eye is still a little funky (no idea what I did), but it's fine (I hope) and I'm fine . . . physically . . . but mentally . . .  I am not so sure. 

Now, this could be do to the fact that I've had a sick kid home almost every day of the last week and a half.  My children, bless their hearts, are not quiet sweet sick.  No, they are miserable and can't help but let you know it and a wee bit demanding.  I get it.  You feel miserable.  It's life.  And who wants to be sick in this gray, cold stormy weather (Piper very loudly sobbed this week, If only the weather were nice and the sun were out . . . I KNOW I WOULDN'T BE SICK! and you know . . . she might be right). 

Luckily (for all of us) they are rarely sick.  But I find myself feeling VERY worn out and frustrated at the end of the day when they've stayed home and add an "s" to the days and its VERY wearing.  Add John's lack of enthusiasm for the painful adjustment to a very new job (and business and people and everything), a few extended family worries, and some demands from church and PTA . . . and I've officially, it seems, gone bonkers.

It seems that it's obvious to everyone around here.

Today, many times, even in the middle of his moaning, groaning, and languishing, Finnegan would look at me obsessing over my eyes and lean over, take my hand and tell me, Mom, you're just fine.  Don't worry. You're ok.

Bless his heart.  He made me feel better every time (and slightly sheepish . . . ok, very sheepish).

So . . . what to do about it?

I'm not sure what you all do, but when I'm in the middle of a bit of a gray period, I turn to getting my butt moving.  And for me, home with sick kids and the weather horrific outside, it usually means cleaning.  Just so you know . . . a impeccable house usually does not bode well (ahh, this explains why John is rarely troubled by my stormy moments) for my mental state.  A slightly cluttered, disordered home means I am way to busy having fun to clean deeply.  That's how my house has been for about a year--slightly cluttered (very good sign).  Not so this stormy spring.
 
So today, just as the other days this week (and last), strange cleanings have occurred--namely closets, carpet cleaning, bathroom cupboards, and desk tops.  I can't control my wild musings or erratic anxieties, but I can control the state of my house.  There is a lightening, a sense of pride, and most of all, a relief that comes from taking control and seeing the fruits of my cleaning labors.  In one area of my life I have control.  And darn it, I will control it and it will be done well.

I'm not afraid when the storm clouds lower and glower and threaten anymore.  I'm annoyed and frustrated and discouraged, but I am not afraid.  I know it will end, how or when is a great mystery, but I know it will end.  And so . . . until then, I clean . . . and hope . . . and distract myself with even more daring organizing projects (watch out kids' rooms).

In every life, rain will fall.  But the sun does come out . . . tomorrow, right?

Maybe.

If not, I know what to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o