Skip to main content

Pigs Fly

There's nothing like flying a kite.

I don't know why, but it's like flying vicariously or something.  I love it so much and it doesn't get old, no matter how many years go by.  And it seems that everyone in my family loves to fly kites too. My beautiful sister-in-law requested a kite flying day for her birthday.  Yesterday, in fact, (when this photo was taken), we spent the early evening sending our kites into the heavens (they did not always stay there) and watched them dance in the wind (until they crashed down and I spent an hour untangling the mess) and laughed and danced with them.





I think it's because for a minute or two, we feel our smallness in the vastness of the sky and we feel like for a moment we've harnessed the wind and we're part of it all.

Maybe my wishful thinking?

Probably, but hey, I'm trying to verbalize joy and it's an elusive thing--that's what pictures are for right?  So you tell me . . . why do we love flying kites?  or maybe it doesn't matter.  It's just a fact.  

Just like reading a good book (reading a bad book is the worst form of torture ever invented).  It's so full of joy that words (oddly enough) don't quite cover it.

Tonight I was quite anti-social and after a lovely visit with a few friends and my beautiful niece and her darling boyfriend (and finally successfully making a batch of caramel sauce--hallelujah!), I slipped off to my sunlit warm room (my most favoritest place ever) and finished yet another book.  Oh my heavens to betsy--I forgot what a joy it is to read a masterpiece.  I just finished it like maybe ten minutes ago and I'm still reeling from it.  It's a YA book, a second in a four part series, and honestly, I want to go to Ohio and kiss the author on the cheek and hug her and tell her THANK YOU! because she gets writing and more than that, she gets, the human heart.  And that, according to Faulkner, is what writing is all about anyways.

What book, you ask?

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. 

It's The Theif series and each book is AMAZING and most of all wise.  I love the wise part. 

I have this degree, as you know, in creative writing.  My emphasis, which you might not know, is in YA lit.  I actually wrote a book which I still haven't looked at--yet, but I will again.  Maybe.  But what I learned from my years of reading and research, is the most beautiful thing about writing YA is to give hope with truth and honesty.  One of my favorite teachers, Susan Howe, told us all so seriously we thought she might cry, that the most challenging thing we will ever face is to write something true that uplifts and encourages and inspires the heart.  I hear her voice very time I sit down to write my own stories and in each word I write, I think, is this honest?  Is this true? and can it possibly ease a pain someone feels?

Which is why I LOVE The Queen of Attolia.  It's about war and horror and loss and love.  She doesn't sugar coat anything, but she gives us hope--she encourages us all to dream big and despite handicaps and bumps in the road (sometimes--chasms to cross), we should push on and fight.  There is this phrase she uses over and over again, "Where there is life, there is hope," that is so true.  Oh I want to tell you the whole story . . . but I can't because you HAVE TO READ this book (after you read The Theif  of course).  Suffice to to say, there is a Queen and she may or may not be good, and there is a theif and he may or may not be broken and somehow . . . well, you'll have to read it to find out.

But back to the phrase, where there is life, there is hope . . . do you believe this?

I do.

I think sometimes we forget this.  

I forget it when I look at my silly children and their silly choices and think (with good reasoning),  Bless me to be kind to bums on the street, because MY SON is going to be one of them! With these grades, there is only one place for him for REALS! (Another reason I love missions so much . . . no grades!!).

No lie.  True thought.  

Totally skipped that he was alive and so there was hope--went straight to there is no righting this ship you are going to end up a bum on the street and that is a fact

And sometimes, as over emotional mamas, you do that.

But deep down, somewhere, I do believe where there is life there is hope.

I can't even tell you how many times I've been forgotten this.  I've had bad relationships for YEARS and I mean maybe even decades where I'd say, Oh, they'll talk to me again when PIGS FLY or they are going to be mad at me until the FAT LADY SING (yes, I'm quite enamored with colloquial sayings, just am).  And pigs do not fly and the opera singers are thin now.  So it is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

But guess what?

Bridges, they mend and get rebuilt, sometimes without any effort on my part, forgiveness is given and relationships bloom again.  Just by time (and I think a bit of Grace) and letting go and love.  That thing, LOVE, it's way WAY more powerful than any of us realize.

And I'm here to tell you, PIGS FLY.  I've seen them.  And beautiful FAT LADIES sing the most beautiful songs of forgiveness you'll ever hear.  

Miracles happen.  

Every day.

Because, where there is life, there is hope.

And there is YEARS of life left in almost all of us. 

So don't give up.  Go fly kites.  Feel the tug of the wind and the possibility of the impossible flight.  Find what gives you joy and don't be afraid of the future.  It will unfold as it should and will undoubtedly bring all sorts of surprises (some not so good, some unspeakably beautiful) but always, tucked in there will be a bit of magic and miracles.

Comments

  1. Love that author! And I love this author (YOU!). I love these thoughts and how they help us think about the power of feeling connected to something bigger--for better and worse but ultimately, I HOPE, for better. I think you can turn the phrase around and say "Where's there's hope, there's life." and find some truth there, too. For me the promise of it all extends through, up, away and beyond this part of our lives and into another part of our lives to come but is also rooted in what I do here and now. Like a kite into the blue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o