Skip to main content

Thoughts from the Red Tent: Doubt

I am so in the Red Tent (notice my post yesterday--posted at 11:58pm and it was only pictures--darling Piper--but still only pictures.  Lazy and doing nothing girl, that is me!).

But in here, I keep having these thoughts . . .

And this one is about Doubt.

Why am I afraid of that word?

Doubt.

It's uncomfortable. . .

To experience either because someone doubts you or because you doubt someone.  It's like a pit in your stomach of dread and foreboding.

Doubt.

What if what you believe is not true?

What if what this person or that person is saying is not true?

What if the people you trust, betray it?

Yeah, see, doubt is a scary word because it represents the opposite of faith or security or knowledge, right?

It's slippery and it creates all sorts of insecurity.

Yeah, you're seeing why I'm afraid of that word and that concept . . ..

In fact, perhaps it's  a hot button to me.  When I was a younger person (maybe not that long ago) when someone would challenge me (yep, doubt me), I would immediately get super duper defensive.  Even if I wasn't 100% sure of my stance and was in fact open for different opinions, once I felt doubted, well, my spine straightened and I just became 1000% sure I was right. 

Doubt made me a bit of a fool.  Well, I guess defensiveness did, but that was a fruit of doubt (the evil fruit to be sure!).  I can't stand that part of me

And then I listened to this amazing short talk TED about Doubt a few days ago and I've been reeling from it.  Casey Gerald talks about how doubt in his life has been this catalyst for change for the good.  It's seriously one of the best TED talks I've ever heard--totally lyrical and beautifully written. The whole concept is that even in the greatest disappointment, when the surest thing ever turns out to be a hoax or a complete failure, that it's not the worst thing.  Because it opens the door for new believes.


I totally love this.  I think I've written about a hundred different times when this has happened to me.  When I was a young girl believing that if I went back to public school, I'd be all sorts of crazy and naughty (our High School when my elder siblings went there was known for many, many wildnesses--oh the stories) and would disappoint my parents.  But I wanted to learn, I wanted to expand, I wanted to progress.  So I took that step (with help) and went to public school.

And it was terrifying.

I mean, mind blowingly terrifying.

I don't even know where to begin to tell you how woefully unprepared I was.  I remember coming home from school, going up to my room, crawling out on my roof (it was off my bedroom) and staring out at the valley and thinking, "What the crap am I going to do?  I know NOTHING! I am going to totally and utterly fail everything.  Everything."

But I didn't.  I went back to school the next day, I put aside my pride (and what a hard thing that is) and began to ask questions.  Yep, I got laughed at a lot.  What is ROYGBIV that everyone keeps talking about?  Sheer laughter.  But I didn't care.  I couldn't care because I didn't know.  I was like this human vacuum that was sucking up information in ever class.  And at first I really did fail things.  Math especially.  But I kept going back and kept asking questions and if one person didn't give me the right answer, I asked another one.  There probably wasn't a person in that school who I didn't at one point or another ask to explain something to me.

But the thing is, after they figured out that I wasn't being funny, I really didn't know, the out pouring of support was insane.  I look back on that time and I know that the reason I adjusted so quickly and well was because everyone in that school pretty much poured everything they knew into me.  I would have been lost without them.

And that, more than any book knowledge, was the very best part of my high school education.  Thanks to their help, their patience, and their believe in me, I not only adjusted, I thrived.

But without that doubt that homeschool might not be for me, I never would have gone back to school.  I never would have learned how to ask questions.  I wouldn't have learned how to let go of my pride and ask for help and know that once I did, people are ready and willing to help.  I wouldn't have known so many things, but most of all, things about myself--my glaring weaknesses as well as my hidden strengths.  I am so grateful for that seed of doubt that propelled me to be brave, take risks, and believe that I could succeed.

I know that sounds like a paradox, but that's it?  Doubting seems like such a bad thing, but I totally agree with Casey, sometimes it really does open the door for amazing, sometimes miraculous discoveries.

Do doubt, my friends.  Doubt and feel OK with the fear and disorientation that goes along with it because, if you follow through and search and work and get your but out there every day trying to figure it out, you might just discover something amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o