Skip to main content

Magical Tidying-Up

I almost posted last night, only I was squished between coughing, moaning Piper and tired John.  To move meant to disrupt a balance (and a restlessly sleeping girl) and could result in drama.  And after a early morning, 6 loaves of bread, two Sharing Time Easter week lessons, 8 children (4 college students fed, 80 hot cross buns, 250 candy eggs, one big easter meal, and everyone (except the sicko) into bed, I was in the mood for drama and I was not good for much more than a long, sweet sign.

Today . . . well, it's been so full of good things.  I've been reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and I'm on the third page.  That's how much time I have to read while I got to the bathroom.  The only time I really read during the day.  And so far it's totally inspiring.  But it's also a little depressing because I realized that in order to tidy and organize your life . . . you have to have TIME to do it.  To de-clutter and organize a closet . . . we are talking probably about 3-6 hours here and that's not counting the time it takes to go to and from Wal-Mart to pick up the proper containers (or the Container Store--yes please!).  It's like a serious commitment.  I've had a toy closet I've wanted to go through for four years--and haven't finished it because each time I do, and the kids show up (because they're only gone from the house for 6 hours), it turns into a play date and a desperate cling to all their old toys.  

I honestly think I end up with MORE toys than I started with.  How is this possible?  I don't know, but I can promise you it is.  

So . . . am I going to stop reading and give up?  

No.

Well . . . not yet.  I'll wait until I am utterly discouraged.  Then I'll give up.

Because I really really want my life organized.  I want to feel all the things she promises I'll feel (free, happy, born again, unfettered, able to create, find my true passion, and feel constant peace)--who doesn't.  I mean, if decluttering a few closets will give me this . . . you are mine, closets, tomorrow!

And yet . . . I'm not sure that this is the only way to happiness and peace (don't get me wrong, the closets . . . they're STILL mine).  I can't help but believe that part of living with a family (whatever the size) is learning how to accept a bit of chaos and clutter.  We all are a bit disorder and disharmony aren't we?

Today as I was tidying up after a house full of guests and events and everything was a little sad and worn and I felt very discouraged, I shook myself mentally.  In my anxiety to turn my home back into the "peaceful, orderly place" I was losing the magic of the weekend.  It was awesome and I was forgetting the awesomeness of it.  

Really, what's the point of having a house with spare bedrooms if no one ever sleeps in them?  And having a ton of dishes if no one ever eats off?  Or couches that no one ever sits in or floors to walk on or pots and pans to cook in or food in your fridge to eat and bathrooms to use?  

Sure, you might have order and cleanliness, but if you get all caught up in keeping it that way, you might not invite people over, and if you don't invite people over, you don't have laughter and conversations and good food and memories.

Yeah.

So as I was washing off the hand prints of a few weeks ago with the clutter of the weekend, I pressed my hand to the little smudges and felt this crazy sort of happiness that I was blessed enough to have these hand prints and crumbs and dirty floors and bathrooms.  My house and things will wear out and maybe sooner than later, but I can't think of any better way to go.  It might be a slightly worn house and furniture, but it's worn with love and use and joy.

So Magical Tidying-Up, I'm going to get every single good tip I can out of you, but I'm not going to worry if things are out of place, if there are closets that I might never get to because I'm too busy having fun with my people.  Closets will always be there . . . my people . . . not so much.

Plus, really, isn't tidying up in and of itself sort of fun?  Today as the kids and I scurried around and cleaned the house, we made a game of it and we gave ourselves the reward of going to the Library (I know, I'm like the best mother EVER . . . LIBRARY if they do their jobs--doesn't get much cooler than that . . . no sir-ee!!) if we finished in an hour.  And not only did we finish, but we also carpet cleaned three of the grossest rooms.

I'm telling you, the joy we all got out of dumping that DISGUSTING water down the toilet--priceless.  And we wouldn't have know said joy if our house wasn't a bit of a wreck before hand.

See?  Maybe this is the said magic of tidying up . . . satisfaction over seeing how desperately it was needed . . . ahh . . . yes.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o