Skip to main content

Breaking/Broken

Ok, quick update on my intentions: 

I've been drinking 8 cups of water and with my love of moving, I think I've got to up the cups.  But I feel so much better and I have to say, I think skin might already be looking better (is this possible?).  

I read this insanely inspiring article in my 10 minutes if brain bending reading.  Made me cry and feel proud and WANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD.  I love feeling that way.  
 As for my prayers--honestly, I'm THE WORST at this.  So it was a really good intention.  But I read this quote today on instagram:  
"The object of our prayers should not be to present a wish list or a series of requests but to secure for ourselves and for others blessing that God is eager to bestow, according to His will and timing.  Every sincere prayer is heard and answered by our Heavenly Father, but the answers we receive may not be what we expect or come to us when we want or in the way we anticipate . . . Prayer is a privilege and the soul's sincere desire . . . "  --David A Bednar

I love this.  I believe this.  I will (someday) practice this.


Yesterday morning as I was making Finn's birthday cake and using a cup measure to scoop up some flour, the handle snapped and broke.  I held it up and then looked over at Celia who was sitting at the counter.  She looked at me and then at the broken cup and then we both shrugged and I threw it out.

"It seems like everything is breaking, huh?" she said.

"Yep," I said as I picked up another mostly broken measuring cup and went on with measuring.

"So this other job, Dad said something about, a start-up that would pay nothing?" Celia said.

"Yeah?" I asked, pouring the flour into the bowl and turning on the mixer.

"When you say, 'nothing' what are we talking here?"

"Well, pretty much not much.  You know, we'd live really creatively and using up everything and just being careful.  Kind of exactly how we're living now," I said, greasing the bundt pan.

Celia mumbled something that I didn't hear.  So I turned around and said, "What?"

"Mom," she said looking at me and shaking her head a little, "Uh, we're not living so great right now.  Did you not just see what you just did.  You threw out like one of our last measuring cups.  Everything in our house is broken." 

I couldn't help it.  I laughed as I grabbed tightly to our dishwasher door to put my dirty pans in (it's broken and if you let it go, the whole counter top shudders with the crash of it falling down).  

She was completely right.  There are a lot of things that are broken . . . or mostly broken.

I thought about how we have honestly like 10 cups left after a rash of breakage from all our kids not being so careful with them.  Finn's jeans are all too small for him, but I'm just making do because they'll be perfect cut offs in a few weeks, right? All winter the girls have squeezed their big old feet into boots a size or three too small for them, and until a few weeks ago, Celia had been using ski pants that were honestly, three sizes too small for her.  Poor tall girl.  They NEVER complain, they just make do. Poor babies. Making do . . . might be a wee bit harder for them than I thought.

"We're not cursed.  Things break all the time.  I just usually replace the stuff.  But we right now, we're not.  I mean, really, how many measuring cups do we need?"

"Uh, Mom, more than ONE . . ." she said pointedly looking at our one remaining half broken measuring cup.

"Yeah, you might be right," I told her and for some reason we both sort of laughed and that was that.

I keep thinking about it because I think it sums up the hard and the good things that are going on right now.  The kids don't love how we live right now, but I think they're thriving despite it. 

Finn came to me yesterday morning and said, "Well, I don't have any shorts that fit me, but I've got these pants with holes in the knees, so can I make them into shorts?"  Heck, yeah, I said.  And off he went only to reemerge 5 minutes later with darling red cut off shorts.

And I think we've all rediscovered clothes that had been shoved into the back of the closet--creativity thrives within confines (Tim Gunn would totally agree) and limitations.  The girls never cease to amaze me at what they wear every day--and I honestly haven't seen the same combo twice--because they always look DARLING!  And me, well I feel more fashionable (when, that is, I shower--haven't yet today . . . but I have hope, and dress) than I have in years.  I feel inspired and challenged (sometimes VERY CHALLENGED). 

And for the rest, well, lets just say that we have a LONG list of "When Dad/John gets a job, we will buy/replace/fix/go . . ."

For today, I'm really grateful for creative kids who think small and dream big and know that even though everything might be breaking, they're not. 



 

Comments

  1. I know what I can get you for your birthday. 😊
    Love everything about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. This makes me think of when my water broke early and we weren't sure what what next I told Curtis that whatever happened I didn't want it to "break" us. That was the word that came to mind. I wanted to thrive through it. I knew from past challenge how hard it felt to feel like we were breaking and just did not want to go there again. I wasn't sure I could trust myself to handle it with grace. But grace is something that is a gift that we learn to receive and not something we just produce out of ourselves. I felt that gift of grace then and hope I can keep receiving it in all the ups and downs of life. Today I was thinking that you (and your girls) are often like graceful queens, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o