Skip to main content

Employed

I am unreservedly happy about this new job for John.

I know, my house doesn't magically get cleaned and I have to go back to folding clothes and running kids everywhere and I'll have to go to Costco alone and lift those impossibly heavy items in and OUT of my car, but I don't care.

Because it feels so so SO good to know that (not today, but soon) when something breaks, I can fix it (or replace it--good-bye broken garbage can . . . . thank you for holding it together until now).

We can buy name brand hand soap (Celia's biggest complaint).

And most of all John is starting something new and interesting and challenging . . .

And I am free to sleep all day again.

Only kidding (though . . . now that I think of it . . . I may try it).

Really, I can already see the difference in how John stands, how he lights up when he talks about his day,  and how he moves, that he feels fundamentally better.  Way better.

Which makes me sigh and my shoulders relax (and it feels soo good, seven months of hunched shoulders . . .) and just smile. 

And now Phoebe is whisking off with this computer so she can watch the Bachelor Finale with all her friends in their fuzzy pjs with endless amounts of treats.

Yes, life is good.

But the best part was when Phoebe said at dinner, It's nice that you have a job again, Dad.  But really, it hasn't seemed that difficult.  We lived pretty much the same (except for the no name hand soap).  It's been pretty easy.

And even though she doesn't know that there were pretty hard moments for us, I can't tell you how grateful I felt for her comment.  Despite our seven months of unemployment, the kids have all survived without too much damage (except for really dried out hands--darn no name brand soap).  This is when I know/see/feel the blessings and prayers of all of you.  It's how well we've all survived these months with our wits in place (at least mostly). 

Now, on to the oh so fun adjustment times.

Bring them on.  We are so ready.

Comments

  1. You should've been buying whatever soap you wanted. Nobody ever went broke because of soap. Next time, just buy the soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had extra Dove. You should have called me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o