Skip to main content

F(e)ast Day

Of all the things my religion asks of me, I find Fasting once a month the hardest.

I know, I've never drunk or smoked or drank coffee so I probably don't know what I'm missing and then I might say those things.  But the truth is, I haven't and I don't miss them.  Especially as I try to live a cleaner and cleaner life in general with everything I put in my body, I find that I am more and more grateful for my rather moderate way of life (I still LOVE looooovveee sugar . . . and white flour . . . so I have a ways to go).

Fasting.  The goal is to go two meals or 24 hours and give what you would have spent on those meals to the poor in the form of a "fast offering."  Once you are baptized at age 8, you're asked to begin practicing the law of the fast.  As a child, my parents, recent converts to the church, when the whole 24 hours.  We ate a good lunch at 1pm Saturday and then didn't eat or drink again until 1pm Sunday after church.  Imagine if you will, a skinny 10 year old going 24 hours without eating or drinking.  Child abuse, right?  My mom would let us drink of course if we felt crappy or eat a scrap of bread. But they really emphasized what we were doing here--giving up two meals so that someone else could have them.  We go 29 days with more food than we know what to do with, and one day of that month, we sacrifice so that we can offer up our food to others.  Even as a small child, I began to understand what plenty meant and more especially what want meant.  It helped . . . a little.

We also believe that it gives us a time to be free of the bodily stuff and lets us focus on the things of the divine.  It gives us time to also offer special prayers for those we are concerned about or feel need special divine help.  It is another offering, our hearts, as we make this sacrifice.

Now, this all sounds wonderful and it quite frankly blows my mind away each month, but it unbelievably hard.  I almost passed out on Sunday as I was teaching the Primary.  Everything went a little dark and I got sweaty and I thought, Oh great, I'm going to keel over in front of all these kids . . . oh, well, at least it will get their attention!  All you can think about, half the time, is what bread, just bread (forget the butter and jam) tasted like in your mouth.  You dream about water, cool water trickling down your throat and you swallow your warm spit and think, Oh, my kingdom for a glass of water.

And that's the coolest part of all, because it's right there in your faucet and the bread is right there in your drawer or counter top or where ever you keep it.  But you choose, with a LOT of will power (and in my children's case, a LOT of moaning and lamenting) to walk away.  You're choosing for a few hours a month, to sacrifice your most basic needs so that someone else (and depending on how much you give--LOTS of someone elses) can have them.  We're asked, basically, to stop thinking about our own cravings and think about someone else.

It's one of the most powerful things I do and I observe my children doing.  We let our children make the choice of whether or not they want to fast (and many months they grab a piece of bread and have a sip or two of water--but they're still learning) and we talk about places in the world where there is hunger and suffering and how our offering of money goes straight to them--or sometimes to people who live close beside us--and alleviates their suffering.  We talk about who we know who could use our heart felt prayers and how that could (in theory) help us make it through those final two hours (the hardest two hours of the month).

To be frank, we're all limp, stuttering, absentminded idiots by the end of the Fast.  We're cranky and dizzy and just the smell of the food alone makes us sigh and in Piper's case moan over and over again.  I just can't smell this deliciousness!  She will cry, holding onto the counter for dramatic (we think) affect.  It's soooooo GOOOOOOD!  Why must you torture me so?!  The she staggers downstairs to collapse in a heap on the couch and watch another Disney movie.

So yeah, Fasting in our house is not a place of deep contemplation and smiles.  We're human and we are FEELING that human hunger and thirst with a wild ferocity.

Which is the point John always makes as we're sitting around the dinner table, heavy, practically groaning under the weight of our fasting mind's fancies (of course we want three desserts, and two veggies, and heck yeah we need six cups of rice and a 10 lbs roast for the six of us, and don't forget the 36 rolls).  He makes us all stop and look at the steaming food and the abundance we have and he reminds us, very quietly and with such wonder, that this is more food than most of the world will ever see.
And this, guys, he says, is what we get EVERY day.  And we don't have to worry about war.  We get to stay together as a family.  You all have an education.  We have this huge house.  We have all these clothes--more than we know what to do with. Cars to take us anywhere we want and money to go there.  We are BLESSED.  Let's remember this, this month, ok?  Let's remember what this gnawing hunger and thirst feels like and be thankful.  Ok?

The children all looking at him say, EVERY SINGLE MONTH, Yeah! Totally! Are-you-done-yet-so-we-can-eat-this-foooooooooddddddd?!

And after the worlds shortest prayer, we dive in.  All of us.  John and I always go for the water, the kids always go for the rolls.  And I'm telling you, it's the BEST drink of water the whole month!

And this . . . (look at the pictures below) is what our feast was this Sunday.

I'm giving you recipes, because . . . everyone needs to know how to F(e)ast!

SAVORY ROAST (from John's Grandma Rasmussen clipped out of the paper a thousand years ago and a favorite of all)

 
This is the huge Roast that we almost totally CONSUMED (I find I like lean chuck roasts the best--but any will do).

So you salt and pepper it as you see--both sides.


Then you brown in in a little bit of oil in a dutch oven (I really like to make it in a dutch oven, but you can also use just a heavy metal pot with a lid)

Then you make the sauce:
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c red wine vingar
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce 
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic poweder
1-2 tsp dried Rosemary

Mix it all together and pour over the hunk of meat and cover and turn on medium low to low (depending on how hot your burners are--you want a low simmer) for 3-4 hours.


And then. . . while that's simmering:  Take out at least 30 Rhodes Rolls and let them rise (it takes that long--and you want to prep them by putting them in a warmish oven for a while).



 And then, because it's F(e)ast Sunday, you make the most delicious Blondies in the world. Or really any of the recipes on that Cache (click on Blondies and it will link you right there)

World’s Best Blondes
Ingredients:
·      Melted butter and flour for the pan
·      8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
·      3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
·      1 large egg
·      1 tsp Vanilla
·      1 c flour (all purpose)
·      1/2 tsp baking soda
·      1/2 tsp salt
·      1/2 c. macadamia nuts
·      1/2 c. coarsely chopped white chocolate (or white chocolate chips)
·      Directions:
·      Preheat oven to 350.
·      Butter 8 by 8-inch pan.
·      Line bottom of pan with parchment paper (you don't have to do this, but it makes clean up and serving so much easier) leaving 2 inches around the edges.  Butter and flour the parchment paper.
·      In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Cook for 2 minutes, or until the butter is golden with little bits of brown spots.  
·      Immediately remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.  
·      Whisk in the brown sugar.  
·      Whisk in the egg and vanilla
·      Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.  Fold in nuts and white chocolate chips.  
·      Pour into pan.
·      Bake for 18-25 minutes--or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle, comes out with little crumbs clinging to it.  
·      Let cool for about 10 minutes and then pull out with the parchment and cut and serve . . . I promise, if you bring this anywhere, they'll be gone in minutes.  Heaven!

Just a note--it's hard to tell when the butter is ready--I took this picture so you could see how there are brown flecks on the bottom--that's what you're looking for.



 And this my friends, is what the dough looks like as you stir in the white chocolate chunks.  They're soooo good!

This is the finished roast--minus the gravy (which is being made by me while John does the meat).

And we had Summer Squash--soo good!  I just cook it at 350 for 45 or so minutes, de-seaded and face down.  Then I add a little (ok a LOT) of butter and brown sugar and mix it up in the skins.

This is my plate--mid snarfing.  Worth the wait.  


And when I was done, after I had gone back for thirds and fourths, I did think, I am so grateful that each month I get to know what hunger feels like so I can know how blasted good being full feels like.

I'm telling you, without knowing the darkness, we cannot know the light. 


Comments

  1. Loved reading this one. Very wise. You and John are wonderful parents.
    Now how did you make the rice?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o