Skip to main content

Sunday Confessions: Women, You are AMAZING! (32/60)

My great grandmother, her granddaughter and a beloved friend.

Here's my confession:  Man, it's hard to be a woman.

Really, those TED talks I listened to yesterday, two of them were a call to women to stand up and be strong leaders, executives, and scientists.  Be AMAZING!  Be everything.  You can do it!

Only, even listening to those talks, I feel so tired.  It's so hard to do everything.  When I try, I mostly do a really crappy job at everything.  

I remember so clearly my senior year having our two MALE teachers giving all these lectures to us women trying to empower us (bless their hearts) about how we can be anything we want and how we need to be more and better and BE SOMETHING!  You can be doctors, lawyers, mathematicians, and scientists!

A girl next to me muttered, Ug, I hate science.  Why is it always science?

That got me thinking . . . 

I, of course, had to share my thoughts so I raised my hand and said, Excuse me . . . 

They stopped and said, Yes, Mary?

Um, don't you think it's ironic that you men are standing up there lecturing us on what we should be and do . . . don't you think it would be better if you actually asked us what we want . . . and helped us get there?  I mean, it't not helping.  I for one am feeling like I'm a failure if I don't become something great . . . 

As you can imagine, that did not go over well (I'm sure they were thinking, Of course it's the HOMESCHOOLER girl interrupting . . . she has NO idea--and they may have been right).  They were angry at me and told me I was just acting out of fear etcetera etcetera . . . I actually didn't really understand what they were getting at, but I did understand that instead of being encouraged to speak up and tell them more about how I was feeling, I was shut down because it didn't follow their path of reasoning and wasn't along THEIR lines.  This, I have seen has been a pattern throughout my life.  Just happened a month or so ago with my husband and broth in law.  They were literally yelling about how unfair it was to be a woman today and how wrong everything is with the system and when I said, Well, it's because we have babies.  They went ballistic.

That's when I said, Ok, you all need to SHUT UP because you are thinking you know what it's like to be a woman.  To have to make a LOT of hard decisions when you decide to create life.   You don't.  Not a bit.  So . . . yay you defend women.  Yay you hire them whenever you can.  But mostly, just listen to them . . . really, and support the crap out of them. DO NOT ASSUME you know what they are thinking.

Men.  Shesh.  Don't they get it?  Rule number one:  Listen to women.  Ask them questions and wait for a response . . . and LISTEN to it.

May never happen.

Because lets be honest, we are women and we can speak thoughts . . . that might change in ten minutes.  And that needs to be ok too!

So I guess what I'm saying is, whatever you choose to do . . . be an executive, be a doctor, a teacher, a waitress, a firewoman, a newpaper person (do those still exist), a writer, an artist, a mama, a gardener, a thinker, a student . . . whatever it is, I believe in you.  I got your back and I'm here to listen to you and support you.  Because not one of those jobs is easy.  And when you decide to have a baby, your life is changed more than your husband/partners and that's a fact.  It won't stay that way forever, but it does stay that way for a minute.

In my perfect world, I'd create jobs where you can be both easily and well.  In Europe they are totally way more family friendly.  Parents can do job sharing and work from home.  I know that we are trying that here. One of my friend job shares teaching high school.  And please, working from home . . . if you're a busy mama like me, you'd get literally twice the work done as your coworkers would.  I kick butt during the day.

Here's to hoping our daughters get more options and that they get a say . . . and they are heard.  Because when we put our minds to it, I'm telling you, woman change history.  Every single time.  Lets make a better world for our babies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o