Skip to main content

Bun Kind of Day (14/60)


Here's my view this morning . . . after I cleaned out the garage, mowed the lawn, chatted with my sister and did five loads of laundry.  I lay on the hammock and stared up at these leaves full of maple pods with the sun streaming through the green leaves, making me think of summers as a child.  I remember reaching up and pulling down the seed pods and carefully braking open the thick, sticky pod top and sticking them on my nose, my ears, and on my fingers.  

I remember making dandelion chains for my hair and wrists and finding tiny buttercups and holding them under our chins to see if we loved butter.  I remember playing ring around the rosy over and over again and running as fast as I could everywhere I went just because I could.  

I lay there, on the hammock, and let memories of my childhood wash over me and soak into my bones.  Everything relaxed; my body, my mind, my spirit. 

How have I lost that ability to just be so present as I did as a child?  How do I get it back?

I think, as with everything I'm thinking lately, it's slowing down.  It's choosing to lay on the hammock in the middle of the day instead of doing the thousand and one things that are demanding our attention.

It's letting your mind wander where ever it wants instead of making it plan out the future and solve all the concerns of everyone around me.

This was my 20 minutes today.  Best.  20.  Minutes.  Of.  My.  day.

The rest of the day . . . it was . . . meh.  

It was a bun kind of day . . . lots of cleaning and cooking . . . and gardening with Piper  . . .



Bun . . . 
The Gardening . . . collecting tomatoes for our salad . . . 



Overgrown, wild garden 


And the produce . . . we collected.

But I'm going to bed today, still feeling that sway of the hammock, that calm and the warm sunshine and the ease of just letting my mind wander and flit here and there without agenda or purpose.  Just being.  And it's made my whole day, despite it's meh-ness and all the daily routines, seem to flow . . . not speed by, or feel frantic, but flow by easily and calmly.

If this is what 20 minutes does . . . I'm IN!

I called my sisters and hugged everyone at LEAST three times.  Celia was super dodgy, so only one good hug.  Tomorrow I'll be better.

And no phone calls to the colleges, but I made caramel apples to bring to new neighbors and spent time with the children.  I'm calling today a success.

Good night, friends.  I hope you all enjoy that rare and mysterious and so blessed wonderful thing of a good night's sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...