Skip to main content

Seriously?! (23/60)

Tomorrow one of my dearest friend's daughter is getting married.  We have been looking forward to this for months.  I have a small role to play at the reception tomorrow and am on the set up crew for the few things needed to set up before the reception.  I could not be more honored and delighted about every single little part of it.

I am also needed in Florida to keep my mother company while my father is off building bridges for indigenous people in Panama.  I am honored and delighted to be able to help and be with her.

So, in order to be both places, I carefully searched for tickets which would let me be with my mother and also be part of this beautiful wedding.  I thought I found them three weeks ago and could not be happier about them.  When I was purchasing them, twice, the internet failed (we were at a family reunion with very sketchy internet) and I had to reset the tickets.  I guess on the time that I actually got through I had entered the wrong dates.  Instead of leaving tomorrow, after the wedding, I put in today's date.  But I didn't know this because after I purchased the ticket, I couldn't get onto my AA app.  I didn't worry too much, I knew I had checked and double checked.  Or so I thought.

So tonight, when my sister asked when I was coming in, I tried my AA app and it worked.  Hallelujah.  Only, it said, your flight departs in three hours . . .

What?  No. that's wrong.  IT departs in 27 hours . . . right?

No.

It departed tonight.

I honestly sat in the car fro 25 minutes not able to breath.  How could this have happened?

Because, it turns out, I am a total idiot.  I do not read.  I do not double check.  I trust I did it right the first time.

I couldn't move.  I had no idea what to do.  I looked up how much it would cost to change the flights and it was close to $800.

I couldn't miss the wedding.

I couldn't not be there with my mother.

This conundrum . . . this is regret.  This is sorrow.  This is wishing so bad that you will wake up and find it's a bad dream.

I literally had nothing.  No idea.  And so, do not laugh, I bowed my head and prayed my little heart out.  What did I pray for most of all?  That there would be some way I could possibly do both.  And that my friend would forgive me and that John would not kill me.

Just then John opened the garage door and looked at me.  I swear he knew something was wrong.  So I told him.  Instead of getting so mad at my stupidity (which would be sooo justified), he just set to work solving the problem.

It took us three hours, it's not ideal, but I will both get to go to the ceremony (missing the reception, which sweetest Phoebe said she will fill in for me . . .and be, to be honest, better than me . . .and  send me a thousand one one pictures and let me facetime her) AND be there for my mother.  I come in at a bazaar time, but at least I get in.

I'm still not sure my friend will forgive me, but I'm so glad I'll get to be there for the part that means the most . . . watching those two join their lives together.  That's the part I couldn't stand to miss.

Sometimes, even though they aren't answered just like we wanted, our prayers are answered.  And so I'm saying THANK YOU.  And now . . . I'm going to bed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...