Skip to main content

Get a Grip (13/60)

Here's my Sunday Confessions (good day for it right?):

I sometimes (more often than I like) lose all perspective.  I'd like to think I know when this is happening, but I have no idea.  Perspective just slowly but surely slips away and life mysteriously becomes more and more challenging for no apparent reason.  

Then comes a morning like this morning, listening to a talk from years ago by Thomas S. Monson, and my perspective comes right back to me.  Like magic.

Today, for the first time, I realized that the best part, the magical part of perspective is that it gives . . .  actually . . . it infuses you with hope.  And that hope, it invigorates your mind and you think, Wait, I can do this or that.  In fact, I want to make these changes in my life so that I can get all these things done.  Just like that, you're more excited about waking up in the morning. You feel like life has a bit more purpose and reason.  And maybe, just maybe, good things are just around the corner.

So what do I want this week?  I'll tell you.

I want to call or text my family.  I want to take some yoga classes (maybe three).  I'm going to call SLCC and UVU about doing a Interior design program.  I want to hike a mountain.  I want to take two naps and make dinner every night.  I want to hug my kids three times per child per day.  I want to remember to take vitamins and eat more real food.  And . . . about five hundred other things, most of which will never happen.  But it's all good because I have perspective and I know that I can only do to much with out my brain popping, so I'm going to let go what I don't do.  The most important things always have a way of getting done.  

The main cause, I've seen for my loss of perspective is not giving myself enough time to be still.  I have NO idea who or where I'll find that time, but this week, it takes top place on my list . . . which I will really write down (because when you write it down . . .).  

Mary, you will be still and quiet this week.  Once a day you can give yourself 20 minutes of silence.  When?  9:30-9:50am

So . .. if I'm not returning your calls or texts . . . I'm in my still mode.  

I'll let you know how good that works . . . I'm nervous.  I'm horrible at follow through.  But I did the food thing.  I faced my hunger.  I can face carving out time.  20 minutes.  I can do twenty minutes . . . 

I keep thinking of that phrase, "Get a Grip."  It's funny that until you really feel your grip slipping, do you realize what it means.  Piper is doing gymnastics and is always talking about losing her grip and how it hurts and results in all sorts of injuries and discouragement.  Having a good grip makes all the difference between being able to do the move or not.  A bad grip, you're toast.  A good grip, your unstoppable.

I've had a crappy grip on my life . . . it's totally been controlling me.  But NO MORE!  I'm determined to change my grip and make it sure and strong.

Wish me luck?!

I am going to totally need it.  But also . . . I'm feeling good about it.  This week . . . things are going to happen (maybe?)!


Here's my day in pictures:

Grandma Thomas birthday celebration (and Gigi and Piper)
Three Birthday Girls . . . Grandma, Piper, Gigi
John and Lil' Henry . . . 
My favorite . . . all the cousins playing games together.  Pretty much, a magical night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o