Skip to main content

Day 40 . . . and April Intentions: Mindful Eating

And today marks my 40th blog entry.  I am feeling . . . well, I'll tell you, but first . . .

 Look!  The Sun DID come out . . .
I sat outside (even if it was a bit chilly and windy) and soaked up all that good vitamin D.

Piper and Finn are miraculously better (at least while the sun shines).

John is happier at work (HUGE sigh).

Phoebe and Celia got the grades they hoped for at school (bless them for being studious--Oh Henry, how you've made us so happy with just passing . . . you did good for your sisters LOWERING the bar).

Our family worries are for the moment holding steady and in fact, looking optimistic.

And best of all, my eye seems to be just fine.  Finnegan was right.

So here we are . . . 

40 posts later and I feel . . .  

Proud.

Humbled.

Thankful.

A little embarrassed. 

Grateful.

Enlightened.

And most of all brave.

I think these feelings have spread to every area of my life, but most of all, I feel brave.  And so much of that is do to all of you incredibly kind readers who have nurtured me and encouraged me and pushed me to continue to write.  It has been life changing.  Yoga for 40 days made me stronger in so many ways.  Writing for 40 days has made my heart and mind stronger and at the same time so much more tender and open.  I am learning that being vulnerable isn't always bad.  In fact, it might be the healthiest thing we can do.  The more we open up, the more we are able to see we are all a lot alike.  

We all fear.

We all hunger for things we don't know if we'll ever have.

We all feel lonely and alone.

We are all lost.

And we are all beautiful.

Kind.

Generous.

And Brave.

Plus, we survived an epic drive to Denver.  Phoebe got into YAGP Finals in NYC.  Lots of Marriage advice.  A new job (yes!!).  Some Red Tent talk. A few words on aging. And a lot of simple sharing of my life . . .

 A wonderful journey.  

A new beginning . . . of many many things.

April marks a new month of Intentions.  March was actually my most enlightening month yet.  I LOVED the 10 minutes of knowledge of day (which I only did at most half the time . . .), my prayers, they're quieter and calmer, and I am hydrated.  Plus, and this is the best part, I learned a new yoga trick.

So we begin again.  April intentions:

Body:  A month of Mindful Eating (being careful and thoughtful about everything that goes into my body and making sure I AM eating 3 meals)

Mind:  Work on my book every day (I have neglected it . . . bad)

Spirit:  Read Wise words (find inspirational thoughts, quotes, and wise words from all over the world and all religious perspectives . . . PLEASE PLEASE SUGGEST SOME TO ME!)

My favorite part of intentions is that I get to work on things I want and I'm excited about.  Please please tell me if you have any suggestions for me about all of this.  I need recipes, things to read, and writing advice.  Share with me!

Here is my first Mindful Eating Share with you:  Paula's Granola

My mother-in-law has the most wonderful Granola in the universe.  I'm trying to have at least three go-to healthy breakfasts that ensures I EAT breakfast.  This is #1 (doesn't it look amazing?)

Recipe:

Preheat oven to 350.

5 c old fashion oats
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sweetened coconut 
1 c. wheat germ (optional)

Mix this all together on a cookie sheet until it's really mixed.

Then mix together:
1/4 c coconut oil (melted)
3/4 c water (warm)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Vanilla

Pour over the oatmeal mixture and mix in by hand until it's nice and mixed and a little clumpy.

Put in oven.  

Every Ten minutes, carefully turn over with a wooden spoon for the first 20 minutes (so twice).

Turn the oven down to 250 and then set the timer for 15 minutes.  Stir after the timer goes off and then set it for another 15 minutes.  If it's nice and brown (see above), then it's done.  If not, put it back in for 5-10 minutes until it's nice and toasted.

Let cool (completely) and then put in a airtight container or just in a ziplock bag.  

Trust me, it won't last long.

Here is my favorite to eat it with (it is NOT low fat)


Thank you so much for taking this journey with me . . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o