Skip to main content

Everything's Not Awesome: But We Can Still Hope

I woke up yesterday morning, Saturday (or the same day I've woken up to for who knows how many day . . . totally lost count. . . Groundhog Day), and literally thought, Everything's not awesome.  This is hard.  I am discouraged. I feel overwhelmed.

Celia got a call Thursday that one of her friends in SLC who she ate lunch with on Wednesday has had possible contact with the virus.  He lives with his brother who found out his coworker (the brother's coworker) has tested positive.  Who knows how close the contact really was or what the chances are, but it's thrown Celia for a loop.  She's so careful when she comes home from work to change and wash and do everything she can, but she couldn't control for that.  She feels guilt and fear and worry. What if, she said, I've infected you all?

These are the things our children who work are dealing with.  The guilt and worry.  Not to mention online classes (college) and so many opportunities and missed progression.  Almost everyone is home.  In our church, they've sent almost all the missionaries from most of the countries of the world home to self isolate in their homes (and they are doing such a good job of this), but think of that disruption.  Everyone has plans that have been disrupted.

Everything is NOT awesome.

So I pulled out my phone and looked up this little gem my sister-in-law sent me last week . . . I feel like it sums up exactly how all of us feel . . .



I love how they're all lying around, broken and separated and in the dark, unable to move and get motivated feeling like they just can't get their act together.  They're stuck in their lassitude and malaise (best words to describe how I am feeling).  But then, that turn, that change, of yes, acknowledging that things are stinking hard, but we aren't alone.  Together we can do anything.  We can fix the unfixable and heal the unhealable.  Together, we can do this.

Today, all over the world, people are fasting and praying for hope, a cure, strength for the medical staff, miracles of healing, comfort for the sick, love for those feeling isolated and alone, and peace beyond our understanding to all of us who are part of this life right now.

We are not alone.

There is a power greater than us all (however you choose to see it) that can bring us peace that surpasses understanding.  It frees us from the malaise we may have fallen into.  It gives us hope when we feel hopeless; gives us strength when we are weary and broken.

Together, working in our own houses, sending silly memes and texts, making interesting recipes we share via Facebook and Instagram, programs made from home for free to make us all laugh and hope and feel connected.  Little acts of service like bigger tips and sometimes a free soda given through the drive through.  Together, we are so strong.

It is my prayer today, this snowy, cold, March day, that each of us knows that we are not alone.  That whatever the future brings, we are facing it together.  That there is a higher power that can bring immediate and swift relief to our feelings of fear and worry and overwhelmed-ness.  Lean on that.  It's not a crutch, it's a support and a help.  And times like these I feel like we need all of those.

I love you.  I am here for you.  It's ok to have crappy days where you lay on the couch all day.  But just know, you are needed. Your calls and texts and smiles and waves through the windows, they make a difference to all of us.  You make a difference in each of our days.  Thank you for being brave and getting off that couch and doing, even if it's tiny, some act of kindness and generousity.

Together, we can do this TOGETHER.  Even if the worlds not so awesome now, we can be awesome in our lives.

Happy Sunday.  You're in my thoughts and prayers and I'm so glad we are
TOGETHER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o