Skip to main content

Bringing Honest Back. . .

Kindness.

It's like the most wonderful thing ever.

But so is honesty and sometimes, I like it even more than kindness.

I think we often, in the fear of being unkind, are not honest when we should be.  This lack of honesty creates all sorts of bad behaviors in ourselves and in our friends and family and people we interact with. Lots of crap situations happen because we are too afraid of just telling the truth--even if it's hard to hear or say.  Lately, well, this year, I've been really working on examining myself and truth and honesty and kindness and how I interact.  I've come to a few realizations, but first, let me define honesty.

To me, honesty is when we tell what's inside our hearts and let what is important to us be known.  Honesty is NOT an excuse to say, Yeah, let me be honest, you're a crap sister or you're a bad husband or you really DON'T understand how to do your hair.  No, being honest is saying, I don't think I can actually be room mom for this class, can you help me find a replacement?  Or I need to know today what is happening at the family reunion so I can plan for it, I know that might be hard, but if we can work on this together, it would really help me.  It's your own issues that you are trying to be honest and let it be known so that the solutions can be found.  It's communication that can fix and heal and create safe places for us all.

Now, this is one thing I've learned, honesty is vulnerability and it creates all sorts of knee jerk reactions--especially when your honesty is met with hostility or defensiveness--and then, sorry to say, but all hell seems to break loose.  And you find yourself saying, yeah, that was NOT good.  I'm never being honest again.  Total FAIL.

Which leads me to another thing I've learned:  Life is about failing.  Yep, being honest (hence vulnerable) puts you in a hard spot and in my case, is about 50% of the time met with not such pleasant reactions.

Maybe it's turning 40 or it's being tired of feeling so confused all the time, but whatever it is, I'm not so afraid of being like, Wait, I don't understand this . . . and I need to.  So slow down and lets take a minute here and talk about this.  Sometimes, that's not so good.  But, I'm 40 right, and I'm like, yeah, well, I'm not going anywhere until we figure this out.  I'm not afraid of ruffling some feathers.  I'm not afraid of saying, Wait, I get that your upset about this topic, I am sorry and I want to talk about it in a way that makes you comfortable . . . how can we do this?  I listen and hopefully we find a way around the difficulty (usually involving me having to say sorry a lot and listen a lot and back tracking about sixteen miles, but eventually, we get to a place where we both feel safe).   And then we continue to talk.  I don't want to bully my way into these conversations where I NEED to be heard above everyone else.  What I seek with honesty is mutual understanding.

That's hard.  HARD.  But like I said, I'm not afraid of failing and I'm not afraid of hard.  And so I have these conversations and in my mind, I tell myself talk with respect, gentleness, and calmness. Sometimes it's more like . . . Remember, Mary, CALMNESS!  GENTLENESS!!!!!  RESPECT, DARN IT!

But I'm thinking it, and that should help . . . right?

Which is one of the bestest things I've learned so far . . . it's ok if things get uncomfortable and it doesn't turn out all roses and sometimes you feel just horrible but . . . it's like a really good hurt.  It's  liberating.  I mean, to actually say what's inside of you . . . it's not always pretty, but it's real, it's truth, it's honest and it feels so RIGHT.  Even if it makes you into a slightly crazy person--it's the truth, we are all crazy, mean, small minded, opinionated, self-righteous and plane old wrong.  But that's what also makes us lovable and human and real.  

I honestly thought, Oh, so THIS is how it FEELS to be  . . . (fill in the blank with people in your life who are honest--sometimes to the point where you're like, Uh, didn't need to know THAT).

And I like it!

A lot . . .

So, I guess this is me.  Move over Justin, I'm bringing HONEST back!



Comments

  1. yes, conversations seem to be very short with people who aren't very.... honest (as you have described it)
    one doesn't want to say anything too real because it might be labeled as being "critical" or "negative" or naive or advicey, or all the other things you mentioned
    i have always liked talking to you, Mary..... even though i know there are many things running through your mind about my silly thoughts.... i always know you will be kind to me in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o