Skip to main content

Oh, Brother(s)

I don't know what it is with music lately, but it's bringing up some amazing memories and feelings.

Today, ten minutes ago, I was making Teriyaki sauce for marinating Sunday chicken, when this song on Pandora came on.  I don't even know what it is or was called or who it was by, but it's this beautiful love song about how time and age won't change the love he feels for his love.  All of a sudden, I was crying, big old tears rolling down my cheeks because I was thinking of my brother, Joseph.

I know, love song and brothers?  Nope, they don't often (ever) go together.  But today while I was listening to the song, I remembered what it was like to feel completely safe and loved and protected and that's how Joseph always made me feel.  (Well, once he grew out of handing me umbrellas and pushing me out of two story forts to see if I floated like my namesake "Mary Poppins" and sticking boogers on the end of vacuum hoses and sticking them through doors for me to "speak" to him through.)  Yes indeed, AFTER, he grew out of these episodes, he turned into my champion and friend.  And I'll bet if you call any of my four sisters, they'll all say (as they've said to me) the same thing.

In that moment of feeling that wash of love from him (even though I haven't talked to him in three months), it struck me how lucky/blessed I am to have not only A brother, but brothers.  Through the years of my life, each of my three brothers has done amazing things for me.  I know now that I never knew fear while I grew up because I knew that I had four big champions who would squash anyone or anything that even attempted to hurt me--my dad, John, Mark, and Joseph.  I know in this age of Women Rule (and we do!!) there is this down playing of the importance of men in our lives (we can DO it alone--and most of the time we might . . . .), but it's real and huge and makes a difference.  I knew if I ever needed anything, there's pretty much nothing they wouldn't do for me.  I still feel that way.  I felt/feel completely safe and protected and guarded.  I know, you can downplay this, but I can't.  I am the strong, independent, outspoken, brave woman I am because behind me are fierce, devoted, and strong men.

Two Decembers ago, we (just the eight children) all went down to Florida to surprise my mom for her 70th birthday.  I was not excited about the trip.  It was in the middle of every party/performance/school thing under the sun and we'd been traveling a ton that year.  I also thought it might be weird to just have all the kids together and no spouses.  My expectations, to put it mildly, were low.  Within twenty minutes of us all being together, I became this leaky faucet that seriously didn't turn off the WHOLE three days we were together.  I kept looking at my siblings (especially at my older brothers--13 and 11 years older than me) and remembering all the ways they taught me, loved me, saved me, and made feel so safe growing up.  I looked around at these seven amazing people and wondered how on earth I got so lucky to call them my brothers and sisters.  When I got off the plane and John asked how it went, I burst into tears all over again and said, I don't know . . . I have no idea how I got so lucky to be part of that group.

And the brothers that have been added to my life through marriage--four from my sisters, three from John, and three from John's sisters--they're all amazing.  They're strong and wise and kind and good.  I look at them and wonder how we all got so lucky to have them in our families.

Thank you, all the brothers in my life.  Thank you for making me feel so safe and cherished and strong. Thank you for being such great example for my daughters of what a brother/man should be.  Thank you for making them safe too.

I pray with my whole heart that Henry and Finnegan will learn from you--hopefully before pushing Piper out the window with an umbrella.


Comments

  1. Piper will have her parachute ready! She's that kind of girl.

    Knowing all the challenges we face with finding peace and security in family relationships, it is so nice that you documented this other very real side of being family.

    I am glad I got another wonderful sister in you, Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o