Skip to main content

By Surprise

Today as I was racing down to pick Phoebe up from ballet, I heard a song by Regina Spector.  In it, she  says something about graffiti-ing up their babies toys and being a super cool parent.  I smiled and thought of all the super cool friends/family we have who do things like that with their kids (not graffiti up the toys--ick, toxic!) and what fun and deliberate parents they are.  For years they think about how their little son or daughter will be, what great clothes they'll buy for them and what fun books they'll read to them, trips they'll take them on, and how they're going to deal with . . . THEM.

Yeah, I'm not like that.

I was never like that.

I never even thought about babies.

I knew how they came, but only barely.

It seemed all so impossible and far far far off.

And so . . .

Henry took us both by complete surprise.  To put it mildly.

When I think of myself pregnant with him and the first few months after we had him, it's of a young woman totally mystified by everything that was happening to her.  I was seriously one of those new moms that the nurses probably really didn't feel safe sending home the baby with.  Thank Heaven's for John.  He was totally a natural.  He did everything for Henry for the first few weeks and was very patient with me as I slowly took to parenting.

There are lots of women who were/are born to be mothers.  I am not one of them.  I was never one to goo over babies or get excited when I got to babysit a baby.  I was frankly terrified and prayed they'd go right to sleep so I didn't have to deal with them.  Babies, and children, frankly were dull and boring and a pain.

(Yeah, all these thoughts ran through my head when that stick had two lines instead of one.  How on God's Good Earth was I ever going to be able to care for, let alone love, a baby?)

What happened?

I fell in love.

No one prepared me for love that big or broad or all consuming.  It didn't happen instantly.  At first I didn't want that silly looking baby anywhere near me.  I was exhausted.  I'd pushed for TWO HOURS!  Then, within three minutes of eating and drinking (or rather, Anne, my beautiful sister, feeding me and giving me sips of apple juice), I pushed everyone aside and asked for the little ugly boy.  They put him back in my arms and I can still feel the exact weight of him on my chest.

That's when it began.

The love that takes over your every bone, blood vessel and thought.

And each day it got stronger and stronger.  This little tiny huge surprise filled up every corner of my heart.

There was no way I had love left over for anyone else.

But I was wrong, and as all parents know of multiple children, the love just grows bigger and bigger and fills up a whole house.  It multiplies.

It's complicated, messy and completely overwhelming.  Somedays (yesterday), I want to quit.  Its not that I don't love them or like them or have fun with them, they just OVERWHELM me.  The weight of their combined health and happiness is heavy.  Sometimes I just don't want to carry it.  (I bow down and kiss the ground that all single parents walk on because it's so hard when there are two).  But as I told John yesterday from two thousand miles away, I AM happy, I do LOVE my life and the kids, but I just want to sit in a room by myself and not hear MOM! yelled.

Which brings me back to the Regina Spector song.  I didn't have any expectations of what it meant to be a mom.  I had no plans.  So I've been winging it for years and I'm telling you, it's been one surprise after another.

Kids can go from being a lump on the floor to running full tilt around the room overnight?

A kid can teach themselves how to read?

Potty training DOESN'T happen overnight?  Or even over a month?

You have to follow through on punishments?

You have to follow through on promise?

You have to FOLLOW THROUGH ON EVERYTHING?!

LIfe isn't about me anymore?  What?

Not to mention you are your child's psychologist, doctor, dentist, cheerleader, dictator, teacher, pastor, preacher, buddy and shoulder to cry on.

Bah.

I'm glad I didn't think about it too much because I would have run screaming the other direction. And if I did, I would have missed out on all the surprises that stop my heart and blow my mind.

That happened to me today when I was driving back with Phoebe in the car.  I was telling her about how Henry is struggling with soccer after a year of injuries.  She turned to me and told me about her own journey to figuring out why she should keep dancing, even though it was hard, long hours, took her away from friends/family, and she wasn't as good as the other girls:  "Ballet is me and I am ballet and without it I am lost.  So even if I'm not the best and it's hard and the teachers are mean, it doesn't stop me.  I'm there because I love it.  Henry has to figure out the same thing.  He needs to figure out if he's playing soccer to win, or he's playing it because it makes him happy to kick the ball and be on a field.  If it's the playing, then he shouldn't let anyone stop him."

Where does this wisdom come from?

Seriously, I kept telling myself to keep my jaw from dropping.  She's 13 and she's got some serious stuff figured out (that I don't even have worked out).

Man, I birthed that child!  I helped bring her into the world.

The rest?  The wisdom and goodness, that's all her.

Each one of our five do this to us on regular basis.  We both look at each other and shake our heads and say, Did you hear that?  Where did that come from?

Finnegan's had his first heartbreak.  His best friend/girlfriend has fallen in love with someone else.  He's ok, though.  He still gets to play with her and that's enough.

He's FIVE!  And he knows this stuff already?

Shesh.

See, surprises, they can turn into awesomeness.

If, that is, we pause long enough to let them.

Comments

  1. So...Finn's on the rebound? Does he want to come over for a playdate? Ha! Ha! You're awesome, Mary and do such a great job of telling it like it is. So glad most kids somehow seem to turn out OK despite their parents' best intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course I cried a little while I was reading, I love your kids and you are a great mom after all who do I always call when my kids are having some issue :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so reassuring, mary! not that i will ever be a parent-its just nice to know not everyone is pining for it. you've done well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o