Skip to main content

Honestly . . .

George is dead.

Piper's frog is draped like a tragic figure over a hard cold rock, his sightless eyes causing me no end of grief.

I killed him.

I did.

I forgot to buy his crickets and he went a whole week without eating.

The worst is that while he was slowly starving to death, I've never eaten so well in my whole life.

Thanksgiving . . . sob sob sob . . . not for George.

Finnegan comforted us during dinner as Piper's eyes filled with tears, his voice soft and sweet, "Listen, Piper, he had a good last life.  He ate a big cricket and had a clean cage with clean water.  It isn't soooo bad.  It's a good last life."

Bah.

Honestly.

While I was vacuuming and trying hard to NOT look at George in his cage (because there was NO WAY I was going to touch his tiny dead at my hands corpse), I began playing my favorite game of all,  Let Me Count the Ways I'm Failing as a Mother.

Oh, I am a master at this game.

A GENIUS really.

There I was listing off my horrific lapses in good parenting--letting PIper go to bed with un-brushed hair, believing even thought I seriously doubt the truth that they DID indeed brush their teeth, not working on Henry's last merit badge, getting frustrated with Celia TWICE, BUYING dinner, not writing the thank you notes, not recording Piper's reading minutes, letting Celia read Frog and Toad instead of her fat grade level book, and on and on (and we're just counting today's lapses)--when I had this thought:  Ok, so you're great at failing, is there anything good you've done?

I know I keep coming back to this theme, and seriously, I am super dense because I can't seem to learn it, but WHY ON EARTH DO WE ALWAYS SEE THE WORST IN OURSELVES? Or maybe you don't, but why do I?

I had this moment over the best Thanksgiving week EVER (it really and truly was--I can't even write about it because I myself didn't believe in my wildest dreams it could be that peaceful, lovely, delicious, and most of all relaxing.  Suffice it to say, many happy happy tears of thanksgiving were shed) when I was a little/lot tired one morning when everyone was asking me what was happening and had been asking me for two hours what was happening and no one was doing anything to make those things happen, that I had this moment of grumpy STOP ASKING ME AND JUST GET IN THE CAR SO WE CAN DO THE THINGS YOU'VE BEEN ASKING ABOUT moment.

I felt sick about it.  The whole ride to the Museum of Art.  The whole time we were at the Nickel-cade. While we were eating pizza and watching a movie.  I was sick and felt horrible and bad.

Why?

Because I'd failed.

Who had I failed?

Myself.

My perfect-never-gets-angry-at-anyone-because-they-don't-deserve-it-and-I'm-stupid-to-feel-that-irrational-human-messy-emotion self had gotten messy and  . . . MAD.

In fact, it wasn't until I was driving home from bringing some child home from some activity, that I thought, Wait, if any of my family or friends got frustrated (and they don't often, but they all do from time to time), I'd think, Oh, well, they need a little space to figure stuff out.  And I'd give them space.  And then I wouldn't really even think about it much.  I wouldn't care.

GAhh!  Why am I such an idiot to myself?  From now on, I will always buy crickets THE day they run out and I will attempt to give myself space to figure stuff out.  Hum.  Let's see if I get at least one of these things right.

For the sake of all future Georges, I hope so . . .

Life lesson #209-70983423k.

Oh, did I mention that there were 24 people staying in my house?  It was AWESOME!  Seas of air mattresses and blankets and pillows, no sleeping ever, and laughter that shook the house at 1am.  Loved loved loved every minutes (well, except for the aforementioned lapse) of it!

Thank you!

Now, here are a few photos of the weekend:

Piper in her Thanksgiving Play


Wild girl Forever 21 Crazy Outfit Contest (Hannon Won Hands Down!)

Hannon, Celia, Me, Doreen, Phoebe


only HALF of the hors d'ourves

The migration from couches to tables and feasting begins gaining speed

Hannon and Piper and Finn helping to make the goat cheese and cranberry yumminess


Post feast napping

Midnight insanity (yes, but it actually started at 10pm and we were home and tucked into our beds by 11)

The size of the new outlet mall bathroom STALL (what?)

Shoe parade of course!

Bad Lip Synch watching with the WHOLE family

Museum of Art Play (why on earth did they let us in?)


What?  Is that me?  Henry is the photography.  "You got to mix it up, Mamacita.  Mix it up like this!"
Great.  Blurry me.

Finn with Grami and Grampa

The Superhumanly awesome Grandparents

Isaac and Finn (best looking men around)

Chicken fight in downtown SLC!!

Sisters: Hannon and Haven

Sisters: Celia & Phoebe and Hannon & Haven

The last summer with guests (sob sob sob)

I have no idea.  

Monkey Bread.  Enough said.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o