Skip to main content

The Little Devil Inside

 



There is something that just rubs me wrong when I hear people talk about how great this Covid time has been for them.  I want to grab their shoulders and shake them and yell, "What are you talking about? It's horrible!  I can NOT understand you. At. All."  

It's that little devil inside me that rears its ugly head.  I am somewhat horrified by my reaction to people's joy during this time and I hate that I have that reaction.  INXS had it right and I am profoundly aware of the truth of their song "Devil Inside."  Really, every single one of us really does have a devil inside and during these days, my devil is totally winning.

I don't want it to win.  I want to be happy for people who have loved this Covid time, who have thrived, and prospered and all good things have come to them.  I want to understand them and joy with them, but I don't.  I just bite my tongue and try to change the subject because I don't want to seem ungrateful and rude and idiotic by my lack of enthusiasm at how many great realizations and epiphanies I haven't had.  See?  The devil wins EVERY time.

So, today, as I was listening to yet more people tell me how awesome this time has been in their lives, and I jogged my knees and bit my cheek to stop myself from hollering "you are bat crap crazy," I realized something.  Or actually, I asked myself something.  I sat back and asked myself why I haven't thrived during this time.  I mean, I'm the odd one out here, right?  What's wrong with me?  (Because, it's obviously a me problem).  What's my problem with this pandemic? What am I missing here?

Really?  

What.

AM.

I.

Missing?

I don't really have an answer for that after a full day of pondering this question (actually, I think I know the answer to that--probably waaaay more things than I have any idea about, but that's a whole other problem. . . ).   

So this is my conclusion: The devil inside is the loudest voice and I am listening to it (because let's be honest, it feels so good to listen to all the self-pity and glorious justification inside my evil little brain).  Also, I am in fact, human.  And turns out, I'm cranky and it's hard and it's wearing and demanding and unending and nothing is EVER the same. I miss a thousand and one things that I won't get back in the foreseeable future. I miss things as they used to be.  Really, I think we are all in the same boat but some of you are better at being grateful and seeing the good in all this.  You are listening to the angel inside you and shushing that devious little devil.  

I want to be like you. You are amazing and beautiful and inspiring and STRONG.

So here's my attempt:  I'm going to write, for the next seven days, one beautiful thing that happened in that given day.  

I've been focusing on all the things I'm missing out on and actually missing all the good and beautiful things that are happening RIGHT NOW.  

Ug.

I'm horrible.

Devil, be gone.

Here's yesterday and todays (I'm trying to make up for lost time) beautiful moments:

Yesterday (I had two): 

Henry woke us up--nearly giving us both heart attacks--by shining his phone flashlight in our faces (he is grown and married and lives eight miles from us) at pitch black 6am in the morning telling us to give him a ride home--he'd run to our house.  He hasn't run in years (and of course he starts by running to our house at the godforsaken hour when all good sons are asleep).  It's our fault of course, we've been begging him to run again.  It's a miracle.  A blessed cursed miracle.  

I told him to drive the car back, but John, being a much better human/father than I, drove Henry home while I stayed warm and sleepy in bed.  When John got back, he curled his cold body around mine (that part wasn't beautiful) and then we both slumbered away until 9:30am when our son-in-law's call woke us asking us to bring a few more things to help them move.  I know, that doesn't sound beautiful, but John and I NEVER sleep in.  Our latest is 7:30am.  And we never have time to just snuggle and doze.  But yesterday we did and it was BEAUTIFUL.

And my second beautiful moment was driving in the car for 15 minutes with Phoebe (also married and moving into her first purchased condo--so happy for them).  She has been married almost a year and a half and since then, I rarely get a chance to talk with her.  We chat in passing, but I don't get to know what's in her heart.  And I miss it.  But yesterday, for 15 minutes, I got to listen to what's in her heart and feel that mama/daughter bond and realize it was just as tight and strong as ever.  Made me cry, just a little, for joy.

(Oh and my parents came over for dinner and we laughed and played cards as there was the most beautiful sunset and I thought, ok, my life is good--full circle)


Today:

Crazy thing happened.  I was sitting listening to a Relief Society lesson with 40 other women on Google Meet and it hit me, like a lead weight in the gut (honestly, knocked all the air of me), that I wasn't alone in all this crazy.  

The names of thirty women who are fighting all sorts of crazy and hard (even without Covid) with courage and humor and hope, ran through my mind and my heart filled up with love.  Love for each one of these women in that chat room with me and all the women in my life who carry me, inspire me and make me laugh when I honestly don't think I have a smile in me, let alone a belly laugh.  I let the the tears run free and wild and my goodness did it feel good.  I love you ladies. You know who you are.  All of you, you are my beautiful moment.  Thank you!

Also, it's wicked cold out and even though you might hate me for saying this, I loved it.  I felt that little spark of human kindness that seems to flow more freely during the holiday seasons.  Hope. I think it floats in on the first snowfall of every winter.  I caught some today as I was freezing my nose off walking in the gale force winds and flurries.  


So little Devil inside me, I got to warn you, the fight is ON.  Beautiful moments--do your job!

If you all want to join me, feel free.  And if you want to tell me about your beautiful moments, PLEASE DO.  I need as much inspiration as possible.  

Until tomorrow . . . 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o