Skip to main content

Snakes in My Path


I hate snakes.

It is completely irrational and silly, but the sight of a slithering snake brings wild screams out of me and I do the mad jumping dance that leaves me panting and my legs shaky. 

I see probably one or maybe two a year.

This year, I have seen one nearly every single time I have gone outside.

Every.  Single.  Time.

And I swear to you, it's the same one.

Today, as I was chatting away with my friend as we jogged down our favorite, and super traveled (hiked, biked, ran) trail, the stick right below us twisted and withdrew and jerked.

Yep, right below us as we sailed over it, was my friend, Mr. Fat Long and Feisty Gopher Snake (he is male. . . all snakes are male).  He twisted and I swear tried to nip at my friends heals (I has leaping over his tail--hallelujah).

When we came to a stop ten feet away, panting and possibly still screaming, we turned and watched him look over at us, frustrated with us for ruining his lovely sunny nap.  Then with an unnervingly fast slither, he was gone, disappearing into the prickly grasses.

We resumed our run and tried hard not to jump at every stick in the road.

When I got home and climbed, dusty and sweaty, into the shower, I thought, there is a life lesson here.  Each time I go out, I see this snake . . . on my biking paths, five miles from here.  On hikes across the valley, I see this fellow.

So what is it?

God must have a message for me. I believe, by the way, in God. I know not everyone does.  In fact, during all this, maybe a lot of people don't, but I do.  I don't believe in a God that protects us from everything.  In fact, I believe in a God who lets life happen to us, but He is there to help me/us figure out things when we can't figure them out ourselves.

So, I figured, this snake is a little lesson He wants to teach me.  But what could it be?  Then I realized for me, I think it represents life right now.  Things really aren't getting all better (numbers are staying the same--but not getting worse--but aren't cured), but it's time to start getting out and getting on with life.  

Yeah, it's a little scary.

You don't know when you'll come up against something or someone who is ill and they might not know it.  It's invisible.  But still, it's time to start going out.  You could stay in and maybe some of you should, but for most of us, it's time to start living again.  Cautiously, yes, but still . . . start living.  Even if there is fear.  Even if there is risk.  Even if . .. there is a snake in your path.

And that's my lesson.  I am TERRIFIED of snakes.  Usually if I see one, I will literally not go on that path again, but not anymore.  I know whatever path I trod, he will show up and give me a little cardio burst.  

I could stay home, in bed, and not venture out walking, hiking, or biking.

But he's just one small snake (ok, so he might be almost five feet long, but . . . in order for me to deal with this . . .small must be used) and I am big.  I am strong.  I have amazing jumping and dodging muscles.  I can do this.  The hills, mountains, views, paths, great discussions and wonderful experiences are waiting for me.  I will not let one little snake stop me.

I will accept the possible cost of running into him (ok, the inevitability of running into him) in order to have hours and hours of  experiences.

That's how it is right now.  There are risks going out, but with it comes so many beautiful, wonderful, and needed experiences.  It is worth the risk--with wisdom and good common sense of course--to be part of living and resuming normal life.

And that my friends, is one lesson God has taught me.

And darned if it isn't a good one.  I can't believe I'm writing this . . . but I am not as afraid anymore.  I think I might just be facing (forced facing) my fears.  I am going to hike in thigh high boots from now on . . . just in case.

And . . . if you're wondering . .. our St George, Lake Powell Trip was AMAZING.  Freezing, windy, wet, red ant bites, gained five pounds type of awesome.  

Here's some pics


yep, got in the water.  Road the wave.  Took seven hours to warm up.

John, no surprise, was a natural.

Bravest thing I saw the whole trip.  The water is literally brain numbing . .. 

us.

just don't pee--quote . .. too late, response (just kidding Doreen!  no one peed . . . I think)

wind

Spring Creek (before the killer bees hovered over us)




yep, doesn't do it justice.  soooooo gorgous

Rocky Mouth hike (all 10 minutes and 1/4 mile of it)

arrived . . . and back in 18 minutes

best part of the week . . . hands down

Summer is actually here.  Friends . . . all day long!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o