Skip to main content

The New Un-Normal Normal






Carbs for days.

That is the theme of my life right now.  

My quote of the week:  "We can afford to lose ten pounds after this, but we CANNOT afford to lose our sanity!  So bread it is!

 . . . and cakes, and cupcakes, and cookies, and pancakes and donuts and pretzels . . . 

My friend sent me this meme:

And this is me.

I feel horrible.  I mean, I've supposedly got hours and hours of nothing to do a day and why am I not composing a symphony or writing a book (which I actually have one I'm working on) or at least painting my house or cleaning my windows?

What is wrong with me?

Because I'll be honest here, I wake up at a someone early hour and then I blink twice and my day is done.  

What on earth did I do with those 16 hours I was up?  

I definitely didn't clean or make anything (other than bread or cookies) useful.  I am pretty sure I didn't brush my teeth and I definitely didn't do my hair.  Showering was a big question mark and deodorant?  Maybe?

Did I read?

Did I watch anything?

I don't know.

I can't remember!

I just know I got out of bed and then I'm getting back into it.

Blink.

Repeat.

That's me.  That's my new normal.  

And I'm not miserable.  At last I don't think I am.  Because I think I stopped feeling on day 14 when all the news I read or hear is about how everything is WORSE and HORRIBLE and NOTHING we are doing is making a difference.

That is not encouraging.  It made me have to go back into bed (that I may or may not have left an hour before) and take a long nap.

Last night, when the wind was blowing so stinking hard that the whole house was shaking (and yes, I did think . . . is this an earthquake? too tired to worry, go to sleep), and the snow was swirling down, I thought, ok, there is NO normal.

Why am I even looking for it?  

There is no end date for this.  

There's a lot of bad news that's coming and will continue to come. 

So let's just settle in to this new un-normal.

Maybe I won't write a book or learn a language.  Maybe my house will fall apart and my closets will remain unorganized.  Maybe none of my jeans will fit me after this.  I may not do my hair ever and only brush my teeth at night.  I may eat more fries than fruit and chips may or may not fall off my shirt.  I may wear only stretchy pants and sweatshirts. And I may forget what time it is or what day it is . . . but really, it's ok.  Because none of that matters anymore.

So why not celebrate? 

Right?

Like, if you've always wanted to watch all the Harry Potters in one day (and night), DO IT!

If you wanted to watch a whole season of Friday Night Lights without stopping, now is your chance (and I highly suggest it . . . best show ever!).

Build forts.

Make delicious meals or order out.

Learn how to cut hair (the YouTube has great tutorials) or just let it grow long . . . no one can see you!

Yeah, things are scary out there, so stay inside.  Read til your eyes cross (have actually done this) and read all the things you feel guilty about because it might not make you smarter.  I've been doing this and it's delightful!  Escape literature actually works!  For a few hours, I am no longer in my house, in my sweats, with greasy hair.  I am a gorgeous princess or worrier or wizard or whatever . .. and I ROCK!  And all the guys are CRAZY about me.  It's the best EVER!  (If you want some suggestions . . . I've got them).

And when you wake up in the morning, instead of being like, Crap, what bad happened while I slept, be like me.  Don't touch your phone but look around you.  Make up your own news.  "This morning the sun is shinning and even though there is a brisk arctic wind, at least the sky is blue.  The children are up before you and actually doing their homeschooling without you asking.  Miraculous!  Rejoice and also stay in bed.  Yes, a day to remember!"

And if you're into exercise (which I am sometimes), this is the time to do it!  I say go for a 10 mile run (even if you have to walk 6 of those miles), no one cares.  There is no race to train for.  It's just you out there in nature (or the city or the country or whatever).  So get out and do something . . . 

OR don't.

Because THIS new normal is all about what you want to do.  

How often does that happen? How often do you get to choose what you want to do each and every day?

Never!

So now is your chance!

We can look back and see how much we stressed and worried and washed our hands (please continue doing that), or we can look back and see how much fun we had.  

I hope we look back and see all the things we DID!  (Or at least the things we didn't do because that's what we wanted).

And if you ever need some of my made up news, text me, I'll send it.  I surprise myself at how good I'm getting at it!

Remember the future is bright, despite all this.  We will get through this and EVERYTHING will be better.  

Until then, there are carbs.  They WORK!

I love you.

Goodnight.

My family and friends know me so well. . . my birthday was literally never sweeter!




Sourdough pancakes.  The BOMB.  

Secret Celebrating from a distance our nice birthday . . . 

And sometimes I do get outside!

Birthday joy . . . flowers (so many flowers)

Birthday dinner (decorations by Finn and Piper)




Birthdays in the time of pandemics . . . never been sweeter!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o