Skip to main content

3/60 Friends. A Huge Thank YOU!



Every year my Buddhist brother-in-law goes on this two week (I think) silent retreat.  For two weeks you don't way a word, you spend your days, hours upon hours sitting indian style on a cushion and meditate (meaning clear your head of every thought).  You eat in silence.  You sleep in silence (but what if you're a sleep talker . . . Phoebe would get booted like the first night.  She carries on long conversations in her sleep). 

During these two weeks, my brother in law gets lots of mental work done.  He works through things and sees the world better and more clearly.

I envy him.

Well, I envy a day of silence.

But the idea of it . . . oh the idea of having time like that . . . seems lovely. 

But then I remember that being on a Silence Retreat means I can't talk  . . . and then I realize, well, that would be hard.

I may last a day.

Ok, maybe like five hours of silence.  I'm a chatty Cathy. 

I would be kicked out by day two for sure.

And so when I REALLY think about this I realize that silence is helpful in theory and seems like what I want, but talking, for me, often is really really helps. 

I love working through things that are inside of me.  Unnameable things that I barely understand that only through talking can take shape and form and become real.  And once it's real, I can fix it, laugh at or with it, be shocked by it, or heal it or just look at it like the great mystery it is and either do something about it or, like a good healthy person I am, shove it deep into my mental closet.  I've got to have some skeletons in there to make me interesting and complex, right?

That's what happened today as my friend and I did a six hour (and 15.5 mile) hike up to the saddle of Mount Timpanogos. It was long and winding and beautiful and as we hiked, we talked and as we talked the miles literally flew by.  I'm telling you, I could have hiked another five hours.  My legs might have fallen off, but I think we would have just laughed about it and continued to crawl on.


Trail head . ..

the Sign in book . . .  with us . . . signed in . .
.

The view of Utah Valley from the Saddle



The back side view of Timp . . .


And we did it.  Check.


It's another late late night.  I came back from my hike at 3pm, helped the kids clean the house (yes, best kids ever), mowed the lawn, grocery shopped, and then right when I thought I'd get a minute to sit down, found Phoebe in freak out mode.  She needed to move in with a van load of stuff, not to mention go to target and get the last minute utter essentials (like toilet paper) before she went to St. George with her boyfriend for the long weekend.

I blinked twice and took a deep breath.

I of course had no idea bout any of this.  Typical.  So instead of making my yummy healthy meal for my starved youngest, I threw everyone in the car with the fasted load up in history.

We raced down and grabbed dinner at In and Out (only it wasn't fast . .. 25 minutes . . . everyone had our idea), literally ran through throwing things in the cart, drove too fast down to Provo, ran (and I mean ran) Phoebe's close and suitcases, and million odds and ends up to her apartment, and then, all of us sweating, jumped back into the car to meet John (who had picked up our nephew and his wife from the airport) so I could jump into the car with him and spend an hour with him while we picked up another nephew from the airport.

Does reading that make you tired?

Because this is pretty typical of my life.  It's fast paced on slow days, it's INSANE on normal days, and listen, don't blink because you'll miss me on busy days.

But I survive and in fact thrive because I take this moments or in todays case, hours, to feed and fill up my well with friends.  I could do the other ten thousand things I needed to today with a smile on my face because I had six hours of someone validating me, laughing with me, and helping me work through the ugly, the hard, the confusing, and the scary in my life.

I may not get weeks of silence, but a few hours of chatting with a friend, it's just as good.

On day three of my Journey of Universe and Self Discover, I've realized: friends are the glue that holds our universes together.  I am so grateful for all the friends in my life.  You make it not only good, but usually amazing, funny,  delicious, interesting, open my mind to things I would never think, see or fee, and most of all, make me feel like I am worth knowing and listening to. This journey is so so fun and so good because we're taking it together.

So, hike a mountain, go for a bike ride, walk around the block, eat an ice cream cone, or just sit and laugh together.  It doesn't really matter what you do with good friends, as long as you do it together.  And while you're at it, tell them you how grateful you are for them.  Share the love.  And if there are people new to your neighborhood or work or place you call yours, invite them into your circle.  Invite them into your life.  There is always room for more.  The universe is always expanding . . . why not fill it with friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o