Skip to main content

Let Them Eat Cake . . . 2018 Hymn



I made a cake, a perfect, light fluffy, rich, beautiful vanilla sheet cake from my mother-in-laws chocolate sheet cake recipe (that I've de-chocolated) for my family a few nights ago.  I set it outside to cool and in fact, if froze and in other fact, I forgot about it until it was far too late to eat.  I woke up the next morning looking at that cake thinking, Grrr.  The whole point was that it was supposed to be dessert for my family and guests . . . it was supposed to make us all happy and my nephew and his girlfriend and my sister to all feel special and loved and all the good things special desserts make us feel.  Only, I forgot about it.  And none of that happened.  It was morning.  The cake was not even frosted and I had a meeting to go to and my nephew was leaving soon.  It was breakfast time. 

And so what did I do?

I frosted that baby.  Took it to my morning meeting and cut it into wide pieces and served it, instead of the granola and yogurt and unsugared fruit I was planning on bringing . . . because really, some days, you just really need cake for breakfast.

And my nephew, when I came back?  He ate it for lunch (and then some).  And when my husband came home (before dinner) well, he ate a third of it himself as he helped the kids finish the Thursday night cleaning.  And me?  I ate it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and for breakfast (and lunch) today.  And I have had two wonderful days.

Yes, yes, I know if you always have cake, you will be sick.  But some days, some times in our lives, things are HARD and LONG and DRAINING and we don't really give ourselves a break.  We push and push and push and feel all sorts of guilt.  We look at cake and think . . . I just really couldn't.  It's not time for it . . . and we continue to just be so hard on ourselves.  When really, why not just slice up a piece of that beautiful cake, enjoy every delectable bite and then feel all that wonderful rush of energy and endorphins (because lets be honest, sugar gives us wonderful zings) propel us onward? Why?  Why don't we?

Well, I did.

And it turns out I have not gained a pound.  Not a one. In fact, I've felt wonderful.  I have felt like I've been given a gift.  A little reminder that when life gives you cake, just stop and eat it.  Really, stop and eat it.  It will be gone.  A memory.  So make the most of it.

When I was making out my new years resolutions (and feeling quite happy about it), I felt motivated and a little daunted.  I'm pretty sure I'll get to at least three of them.  But the rest . . . well, they're things I think I should be doing or reading or listening to or watching.  And I should, don't get me wrong.  But after I looked over my list, I thought . . . these are all well and good . . . but where's the dreams?  Where's the fun?  Where's the crazy one and a million chance it will happen but still you dream it? 

It wasn't there.

So what did I do?  I flipped over that page and began to write down my dreams . . .

Most.

Fun.

I've.

Had.

In. 

YEARS!!!

Honestly, I laughed out loud like six times at the audacity of my dreams.  And then . . . I read them and thought . . . you know what? Some of these . . . some of these . . . have a chance of coming true.  If I save, if I organize, if I work hard . . . I can get these dreams.  I can make them happen.

And guess what?  I felt inspired.  Seriously inspired to work harder, to scrimp and save and talk to my children and get them on board and get us all excited about something big. . . something that seems out of reach . . . and may be . . .but we have a chance.  A chance.  Why not take it?

Isn't that what life is about?  Really.  Dreaming big and then taking chances?  I mean, you'll probably fail a lot.  And you might not reach goals, but seriously, you'll never reach them EVER if you don't try right? 

So . . . lets make 2018 the year we eat way more cake and dream big and have courage to chase after them.

Deal?

Deal.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o