Skip to main content

Not According to Plan

The most interesting part of my writing every day (all six days of it) is how it is a barometer of my emotions.  They go up and down and all over the place.  Today I am feeling  . . . weepy.  Not sad or unhappy, just a little weepy.  I used to think it was hormones, but I've been tracking it and it happens to me all over the month.  Some times, our hearts are just a little tender.

I guess today just about marks the six month anniversary of our unemployment.  That is a long time.  It's gone both slow and strangely fast.  The thing that I've noticed the most is that I have little to almost no expectations of anything.  At first, I thought everything was a sign.  A phone call, a friends new job, a odd connection or anxious interview were all signs of some amazing job.  Now, well, now, I just focus on this very exact moment and what needs to be done in that moment or what I can do.  I don't even notice for the most part what jobs he's applying to or what connections he's made or had.  I can do nothing about it or influence it, so I'm focusing on what I can do or more importantly what can I make for dinner or what clothes need folding.  I read a quote today that said, "Instead of focusing on what's going wrong, think about what can go right."  I love that quote, but I don't actually think it's helpful for me today.

Really.  After six months of things going quite wrong, you look at quotes like that and you think, well, the first part is good, but the last part, I'd change it to  . . . because the bad that's happening today can get a heck of lot worse tomorrow so enjoy today!  That's more my style.  I know that things can go right and really often do, but a lot of times they don't.  That doesn't make life bad or horrible or or anything, it just makes it real.  Crap happens.  Life takes all sorts of unfair and bazaar twists and turns and a lot of unexpectedness gets dropped on your doorstep to deal with.  That's just the price of living.

Now, I know that some people have very good luck.  My sister, talking to me about struggling with her somewhat willful son said, "My life has always gone according to plan and now this!"  I looked over at her and laughed.  It was true.  Her life, all 45 years of it, had pretty much gone according to plan.  Not that she hasn't had a dip here or there, but for the most part, she and her husband made plans and just like that, the plans came to fruition.  Then she gets a willful son who for a few months (and I'm telling you, I know those months were hard) she struggled with what to do with him and how to deal with him.  It was devastating for her and doubly devastating because she'd never had anything not go according to plan.  I felt horrible for her.  But that didn't stop me from laughing at what she'd said.  I think I shocked her with my laughter.  I'm not laughing at you, I said, I'm laughing because pretty much NOTHING in my life has ever gone according to plan.  Not.  A.  Thing.

I wanted to go to college, travel the world, join the peace corp, and maybe somewhere later I'd get married.  Instead, I met and fell in love with someone at 16 and was married by 20.  We were going to travel the world together and go to graduate school somewhere distant and wait until our late 20s to have children.  We got pregnant a year later and had Henry six years early.  We went to Law School (instead of international diplomacy) at BYU to give us a chance to save money and me to go to graduate school where family could help tend Henry.  Then we were off to San Deigo to quickly pay off loans and play in the ocean.  But then airplanes hit buildings and the whole  NASDAQ crashed and with it, John's 200 year old firm--no one wanted to hire securities lawyers.  So we sold our home and lived in my in-laws basement and had a series of miserable miscarriages and months and months of looking for a job.  We finally found one and it was good and we bought a house and thought we were set.  But then, after yet another miscarriage (see, I can't even plan my babies right) we decide to take a big old risk and move to Canada for an exciting job in natural resources (what John had always wanted) and to be near family and experience life.  It was a sure thing, right?  Wrong.  The main investors, a week before the final phase of financing, Leman Brothers, well, they invested in a lot of houses and yep . . . you guessed the Financial Crisis happened and the whole bottom dropped out of that.  So . . . had to move quick like and where were we?  Back in Utah.  In my ever kind in-laws basement with our now five children.  We did find a job within a few months and again . . . we thought, oh man, this is really going to last.  A gold mining company with lots of funding and lots of mines. Yeah, well, those mines discovered the biggest gold deposit in the world.  And just like that, not even two years later, the company is sold and we're looking for a job again . . . I'm going to stop there because . . . it just goes on like that.

See what I'm saying . . .

Not.

One.

Thing.

According.

To.

Plan.

And really, I'm being honest here, it stinks half the time.  Really, I have hives and a bellyache regularly.  This was not my plan, in fact, this life I've lived was my anti plan.  And poor John knows it.  He's pretty much given me my worst nightmare.

But you see, it's not anymore.  My worst nightmare now is giving up hope and losing love and forgetting all the good things in my life.  Just because I didn't or haven't chosen the pattern of this life doesn't mean I haven't loved it.  I'm more afraid of forgetting to enjoy each day than I am that John won't ever get a job.  I've met people and had experiences I never would have if things had gone according to my plan and without them and those experiences I would be half of who I am.

Yes, I hate unemployment and uncertainty and not making money and having to watch every penny and relying on the help of others.  I do.  It's hard hard hard hard HARD.

But life, life is good.  And sweet.  And funny.  And crazy.  And full of all sorts of twist and turns that I want and need in my life.

So, maybe my quote would be, Stop thinking about all the things that have gone wrong in your life, instead think about how those wrong things have made your life right.

Boom.



Comments

  1. someone I know says, "it is a waste of time to plan - you always have to change the plan." As for me - I'm a planner by nature, but my plans are always more ambitious than I am in reality. I'm still learning to adjust my plans. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom indeed! William Blake said that we can come safely through our experience by the power of our own imaginations and depending on how we use them--that is, by our ability to choose how to think and see and feel and gain love and empathy from the experience. Then we can prophecy in truth. I love how you have re-imagined the saying and continue to let phoenix rise. It's a constant fiery furnace, though. I hope you feel my imagination working in love and comfort towards you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o