Skip to main content

I love

I love summer evenings with thunder clouds rumbling in the distance, brining fresh cool mountain air and relief from the heat.

I love tan feet.

I love O Hello Pandora station.

I love fresh baked crusty bread with nuts and white chocolate and challah bread with sugar sprinkled over top and crusty baguette and fresh cold water and grapes and good cheese.

I love the smell of Finnegan's neck when he nuzzles into me.

I love how strong Henry is and how he gets quiet when he knows I'm telling him something that means so much to me it hurts to tell it.

I love surprises that I don't think I love at first.

I love Phoebe's laugh when she's laughing at herself.

I love Celia talking about the books she reading . . . I love that she reads.  Miracles, it turns out, happen.

I love Piper's constant handling of her hamster.  CONSTANT HANDLING.

I love John.

I love that love evolves and is at times rather pocky and so real it scares you and so soft and gentle it makes you cry.

I love good books that surprise me.

I love books that entertain me.

I love books that are so real, I keep looking for the characters in the crowds.

I love books.

I love mountains, big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones--pretty much any I can climb or walk or just be in.

I love the ocean and how it holds you in a way nothing else does--though really, maybe it's like life, both gentle and rough and really, you don't know what's going to happen next.

I love my family--my very very big family.  I have four parents, 15 sisters and 15 brothers, and many many nieces and nephews.  I know all their names and almost all their birthdays (I can get the month if nothing else).  I think of each one of them.  I am pretty sure they don't know how often I think of them, but I do, like a rock or insect collection and wonder at their unique complexity and rare and precious beauty.  I feel lucky blessed to be so insanely rich in family.

I love yoga (I now, EVERYONE loves yoga)--it's transfigured me.  Someday I'll write about how it has, but for today, I'll leave it at I love it.

I love running--fast, slow, hurting, limping, skipping, long, short, uphill and down.

I love sleeping in freshly cleaned sheets--I LOVE clean sheets.

I love sleep.

I love getting up before anyone else in the house.

I love watching the sunrise all by myself.

I love watching the sun set with my whole family.

I love my garden.

I love salad--all types.

I love boots (oh how I love them).

I love Longmire--who isn't a sucker for an old wise cowboy?

I love long drives where I learn about whoever I'm driving with.

I love God.

I love how things like religion change people (some may thing for the worse, but my experience has been always for the better) and makes life brighter and lighter.

I love the end of a good day, when I've eaten just the right amount, played long and hard, had a few good conversations, laughed hard, had a few quiet moments to think about how good my life is and how much I love . . .

and how blessed all this love makes my life.

Comments

  1. So nice when you have a chance to put these feelings into words and pour them out of your heart and right into ours. Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o