Skip to main content

Out with the Old, In with the New

Oh, yeah, I see that I wrote five times last year.

Woot woot.

Does that tell you what happened to my "hours and hours"? Yep, absorbed into the cares of life.

This is what I dissevered after the first week, even though the kids were gone, I still had to get the same amount of laundry, grocery shopping, errand running, bill paying, house cleaning done.  It was actually an illusion to think I had all this time to do what I want--a beautiful illusion that kept me going for years, but an illusion none the less.  That said, having to do all the daily grind stuff WITHOUT five people begging, asking, demanding, complaining, and hollering for my attention is a lovely gift all in itself.

So how do I spend my days? 

Seeing as the blog insanity has died down and I'm quite sure pretty much no one will read this, I'll tell you!

First, I get up between 5 and 5:20am to do some sort of exercise with John (we switch between running, yoga, and some sort of high intensity cardio--which I personally dread). 

Between 6:45-7am we rouse the sleepy heads (Henry gets up on his own).

7:10 Henry leaves (often without breakfast and making his own lunch--he's almost 17, he can handle it)

7:40 Piper and Finn walk to school together (this morning in 0 degrees F) chatting and happy (every single morning).

7:55 Phoebe and Celia leave (with John if he's driving)

8 John leaves

And then you'd think I could sigh and throw myself back into my long cold bed?

Nope.  

I mean, I could, but then, seriously, NOTHING would ever get done around here.

But all this doesn't mean I don't take time for myself.  Like right now, instead of showering and grocery shopping, I'm writing while I wait for the next load of laundry to finish.

And I DO have time to myself like I didn't before.  Someone calls and wants to do a spur of the moment brunch, I'm THERE!  Someone needs help in the classroom, I'm happy to help.  It's been a LOOONNGG vacation and I need a little time to recoup? Yes, I turn my phone on silent and curl up and read a book.  That's the magical freedom that happens.  Once I got over the disappointment of not really having unlimited hours of free time, I'm back to appreciating what I DO have.

Between 8-2:15 when kids get home, I run around doing what all Mom's do with little breaks here and there to chat with friends and sometimes even go up and have lunch with John.

Then 2:15-6pm it's kid time--lessons, homework, jobs, cleaning, appointments and getting dinner ready.

6-8pm dinner and clean up and more homework.

8:30pm Piper and Finn to bed (reading and prayers with everyone)

8:30-10:30pm PHoebe and Celia finish up homework and go to bed

10:30-11:30 or 12 Henry finishes up his homework and gets to bed.

12-12:30 John and I go to bed (though often, I fall asleep waiting around to help kids with homework. John, however, never does.  He's always the last to go to bed and make sure the house is all closed up and everyone is sleeping in their proper places and all is well).

5-5:20am it all begins again.

Oh, yeah.

So, New Years is for sure a time when I think about what I didn't do last year.  I know, what's the deal with seeing what we DON'T accomplish instead of what we did.  That's why that's first on my New Years Resolutions--Look at what you HAVE done instead of what you haven't.  Here's my others:

2014

Mental:

  • Write in blog once a month (oh, look, I'm doing it right now)
  • Write in journal once a week (this one may be a stretch, but I've been reading my grandfather's journals and I'm telling you, day to day junk is the most fascinating stuff ever)
  • Read one article in one magazine once a week (we get six--I read three articles last year--LAME)
  • Listen to radio news or read news once a week (do NOT mock me . . . I'm out of touch, ok?)
  • Read at least 20 pages of each Book Club Book
Physical:
  • Do some sort of something five days a week (I need to keep this open ended, "something" needs to be walk up and down the stairs five times . . . )
  • Do core stuff four times a week (if I don't, my knees are toast)
  • Climb Lone Peak (for the forth year in a row--I will climb you!)
  • Mt. Bike five times (got to use that New Bike that's now three years old)
  • Run with Henry once a week and Celia once a week
Spiritual
  • Read something uplifting every day
  • Read my lessons each week
  • Finish the Book of Mormon (I have fifty pages left . . . I can do this!)
  • take time to really pray . . . real, honest communication
  • Everything I say/communicate could be said in front of anyone (i.e., no trash talking)
  • Be loyal--to children, to husband, to friends, to family 
  • Praise. I love this word-- (verb) express warm approval or admiration ofnounthe expression of approval or admiration for someone or something:
    And that's it.
    Let's see how it goes. I really thought about each one of these resolutions and chose them because I think they will (hopefully) add peace, serenity, and happiness into my life and those around me (mostly because if I can become a calmer person, I'll be a heck of a lot better to live with!).
    Ok, laundry is winding down and I need to get myself showered.
    Quick note on our life:
    On Saturday, Henry hit something in the snow skiing and split his knee right open.  Ew.  5 stitches on one layer and 7, big fat, Frankenstein stitches on the top layer.  He can sort of move it now (36 hours later) and his sporting baggy pjs for pants.  It made me realize how quickly, instantly, life can throw something ugly at you.  I just feel deeply grateful it wasn't something that hit his head or chest or gut.  Knees knit well.  Other parts of the body, not so easy.

Comments

  1. Some of us (me) have not got the memo that blogs are no longer the
    'it' way of communicating online. They are a wonderful way to feel like journaling and talking to your friend (cousin) at the same time. Write On 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hears to a great new year! i second your goals for 2014 and look forward to reading your monthly posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I'm glad Henry is okay. You are so right about how instantly life can change. I love all of the things that you choose to do. You choose to do all of that which is so worthy of praise. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forced Frugality

  We are going on ten months of looking for a job.   Last September, after a rather horrid ten months, John got the boot.  It was oddly and rather unfairly done, but a great relief to all of us.  Working at that company had become a puzzle that grew harder and harder each day until it was in fact, impossible.  The stress of it took a wild toll on John's mental and physical health.  By the end, he was neither eating nor sleeping.  He had strange episodes of racing heart and an inability to tell what was real and what was imagined.  I sat him down and told him I would use up every penny of our retirement and sell the house if it meant he could stop working in that environment.  And it may take all that.  And I still won't regret it.   When I feel rather sorry for myself, I remember what life was like for him a year ago and then I don't feel sad that I am once again digging through my closet to find a new way to wear old things.   In fact, there is part of me (small though it

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepovers have resumed (most missed activity since the pandem

Midlife-Cri-sis

It's been a year.   I'll sum it up by saying that food no longer tastes good to me.   The last time that happened, I had lost three pregnancies in a row and John had lost and found a job and we had moved three times. The feeling is very similar.   There have a been a lot of losses or near losses.  Enough that when the phone pings with a text or vibrates with a call (I long ago turned off the ringer), I take a deep breath and think, you can do this .  More times than not, I need that deep breath. I am probably in the second half of my life and I feel it.  47.  My children are nearly grown.  My house is established.  Our bank accounts don't fluctuate like they used to. I don't go to the store and dream of being able to buy things.  I walk into my closet and wonder what I can do without.   I feel the finality of my existence and I wonder . . . what do I really want out of all this?   For book club, we read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years .  It's about re-writing o