Skip to main content

Arrived.

Woo-wee, what a summer.  None stop action from beginning to end--just like it always is--John'ts birthday trip to the pacific northwest, Colorado, Girls Camp, Calgary, Thomas Family Reunion, Idaho and a whole lot in-between!

But now, the third day of school is in progress and I find myself home alone with not only a few minutes, but a few hours to spare.

I'm not sure what to think.  I am not sure I can trust this feeling of calm, of peacefulness, of actually picking up something and it staying picked up for more than three minutes.

I have, it seems arrived.

Where?

To the time where I have some discretionary time.

It's not that I haven't had it before.  In fact, I've always had it until these last three years where the kids schedules have started overlapping and intwining until I had no time at al EVER.  And I got used to that.  It was the norm.  I remembered vaguely having time to read and write and sit and cook and BE, but that seemed like a far off dream.

Well, I guess I'm back asleep and dreaming, because it's real and right here in front of me.

The first two days of school were crazy, running around getting the things they forgot, managing different schedules, returning items, and so on, but this morning . . . ahh this morning as Henry walked off with two beautiful girls from the neighborhood (at 7am), the two littles (Finn and Pips) headed up the hill holding hands (yes, I do love that), and Celia and Phoebe sailed down the hill on their bikes and it was only 7:45am, I felt a sense of relief and joy that I can only compare to birth.

I know, gross, but it's true.  The relief you feel, especially when you're having the baby natural (even if you didn't want to), and that baby finally slips out and you're done and all the pain is over and you feel . . . oh, man, you feel WONDERFUL . . . well, that's how I felt this morning.

I think, perhaps, I may have given birth to myself again.

Sixteen years of having a baby underfoot (and honestly, I have loved at least 3/4th of those minutes) is over.

Sob?

Nope.

Lonely?

Heck no!

Lost and aimless?

Ha ha ha--my world has opened up!  Possibilities are limitless!

So, perhaps, I may be a wee drunk on the sweet nectar of free unadulterated time.  Pay no attention to my music blaring way too loud and my pj clad self sitting in the sun with not even a book in my hand just sitting . . . sitting and thinking . . . at 11am with out a thing to do (yes, the dishes will be piled a mile high . . . but hey, I've got time before they come home!).

Oh, yeah.  It's that good.

We started out the summer with a series of concerts with the Henry (and Phoebe)

pacific northwest with john--best 40th birthday idea ever!

Colorado (someday Celia is going to kill me for putting this in--but it's too great not to)

Colorado with the family!

Captain of his own ship

Best (worst) mini-golf team EVER!

Yep we're all crazy

Dude, we're riding horses

rodeoing

Girls camp

Thomas Family Reunion

Primary Activity gone very very wrong (right?)

Celia's torture device to stop her sucking her thumb (it worked!) plus braces

Hiking to Emerald Lake with Hen, Phoebe, and Lynsie

Summer!! Pool days with friends!

A sunset in Colorado that sums up the beauty of this whole summer--dreamy and surreal.  Perfect

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Live By

10 Awesome (and really random) Ideas/thoughts I Live By 1)  Have Dance Parties.  Invite everyone over all ages and turn on lots of loud music and everyone just dance and dance and laugh.  I have one almost everyday in my house alone and it's honestly THE BEST THING EVER.  So I want everyone I know to come over and dance with me.  And bring their favorite songs. Are you with me?  COME OVER . . .  2)  We should eat cookies all day long.  I wish we could cookies for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Let's change the rules.  LET'S DO IT! 3) I love my children and I'm inordinately proud of them.  And probably, I'm blind to half their failings but I honestly can't worry about it.  Because they are insanely cool.  They.  Just.  Are.  And I can't take any credit.  They came that way.  I just get to watch them.  And sometimes yell at them when they are being a little too cool.  I go...

The Best Kind of Tired

  My often daily life . . . (John is two feet away—I can’t do all of them by myself) Last week, every single time I sat down, I almost instantly fell asleep.  I kept telling John, I have the sleeping disease.  What is going on?  Am I getting old?  Is it the covid after effects?  What on earth? He didn’t have any answers for me because he was doing the same thing.   We didn’t really do anything for seven days straights.   And our kids joined us in the sleepy, do nothing, lazy slug bug state. It wasn’t until this morning as I was looking over the pictures of the summer that I realized why. . . We literally haven’t stopped ALL summer long—one awesome amazing trip/visit/fun after the other.  It’s like we are making up for last years “staycations.”  Holy hannah have we ever made up for it.  Just about did ourselves in playing and hugging and kissing and caring for babies. Highlights of the summer (in no particular order): Cousin sleepove...

Unexpected. . .

Today was a good day. Not because of anything that happened (or didn't happened), but because for the first time in four years of having a crazy schedule every day, I decided to NOT plan on anything going according to plan.  And when it didn't (as it always does), I just thought, Oh, I knew that was going to happen and shrugged and went on wondering what new twist my day would take.  In fact, it was sort of like fighting the ripe-tide, a super duper exhausting endeavor when really, the tide is going to pull you out and then, a few hundred yard (or miles) it will sweep you back in again.  Just sit back and enjoy the tug of powers way greater than you and trust that at some point, you'll get your bearings again. Well, it turns out, it was a pretty great ride.  Nothing like I thought.  I got what I absolutely needed to get done (birthday gifts to special friends and dinner made and kids to their various activities).  No cleaning. No errands.  No readi...